Author Topic: Alamo lake clean up March 3rd  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Alamo lake clean up March 3rd
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:26 PM »
I really enjoy alamo lake so thought I would run up there this saturday and help with the cleanup of litter etc. If you camp fees are waived by the state an there is a raffle and dinner after the cleanup. They are meeting at the cholla group camp ground at 8am and then heading out at 9am. Talked with Stew from g and f and he says they can always use the help ;D

C l e a n   u p
Alamo Lake
March 3, 2012

Registration – begins at 6 pm on Friday March 2 at the Alamo Lake Group Use Area Cholla Campground

Cleanup work –8 am till 3pm on Saturday March 3

Bring a pair of gloves

Arizona State Parks will waive the camping and boat launch fees for registered cleanup participants staying at the Cholla Group Use Area.  Other facilities are available at the regular rates.  If you have a boat, bring it along.  The Arizona Game & Fish Department will operate a pontoon boat for the collection of large shoreline litter. Dinner and a raffle will be held Saturday night for the participants.

If you can help with the raffle door prizes, please notify the contact below.

Bring your camping gear, and join the fun

Contact – Stewart Kohnke, Wildlife Manager
(928) 856-0706 or
(928) 342-0091
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Alamo lake clean up March 3rd
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47 PM »
That sounds pretty awesome.
Are you gonna be going and camping out there?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:52 AM »
Louis, I plan to drive out early on saturday (ain't much for camping anymore now that the motorhome is gone) I get up early so will head out and work, then eat then drive back to the valley that evening, looks like decent weather, (going to be tough to work and look out at the lake and not be fishing but boat is in shop for a week or so, soooooo I will hopefully not have bad withdraws, was going to go the I-10 route this time but with nascar races at PIR I guess I will go the Wickenburg route.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Louis and I went up to alamo lake yesterday. Fantastic day out and really the lake was not very crowded for a weekend :o. They obviously had some wind there friday as the new dock at cholla was torn loose and wedged up against a no wake buoy 20yds off shore :(. Worked from about 8:30am till 2pm. Great group of people I think Stewart Kohnke from g and f said there were 81 people, apparently they normally have over 100 :dontknow:. Lots of trashed picked up but considering the lake being so popular it was not as bad as you would think especially with new trash (think that can be attributed to their yearly clean up) and the fact that "lake lice" don't use the lake as much as a roosevelt or pleasant, with the lake down a bunch found lots of old beer cans and bottles etc.. We filled a trailer with old tires and metal pieces etc. and a state parks trash truck with trash bags full of stuff :D.

Louis is a walking machine and he found all sorts of interesting things laying on the shoreline :o me I worked closer to the launch ramps and just found junk.

Had a great raffle and fantastic steak dinner after the cleanup. Hats off to the Yuma rod and gun club for putting on the dinner and supplying $$ for the raffle etc. Good group of people at the event and Stewart Kohnke the WM for the alamo lake area did a great job of organizing and running the event. Both Louis and I wore our (crappie club shirts) so we let people know that the club cares

side note leaving from north Phx and before the NASCAR race traffic, going I-10 to salome was 20+ mins faster than going back through wickenburg on the way home (with light traffic both times) :o
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:16 AM by Fishless »

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:38 PM »
Thanks again for originally posting this and taking me. I enjoyed being out there and getting in some nice hiking in around the lake. I feel like I walked about 6+ miles on the day and hardly covered 1% of that lake! I can only imagine what else is out there since I was finding 30 year-old garbage in places that still sees frequent fishermen.

This is definitely something I'll continue to do as long I'm free on the day they do it. It would be great to see more events like this for the club to participate in so we can 1) get our name out there, and 2) use club members to help preserve our lakes/fisheries.

Maybe next year I can use the machete I won in the raffle while getting through all the shoreline trees. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal