Author Topic: Crappie Fishing Gimmicks & Gadgets  (Read 8166 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Crappie Fishing Gimmicks & Gadgets
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:10 AM »
How about a thread about all the gimmicks & gadgets out there that you guys have used or thought about using in your Crappie fishing.  I'm talking about the unusual stuff you have found either online or stuff tucked way back on the shelves at local stores.  Things that are not part of the "conventional" way we fish for Crappies.  Specialized things that are made just for one purpose & not many people know about.

I'm interested to hear about all the gimmicks & gadgets that you thought about purchasing.  Things you thought are really cool & want to try out.  I want to hear the good, bad & ugly reviews of these things.  Things that worked & things that didn't.  Post a link of these unusual Crappie fishing items...

LLL

PS: And yes, I'm a bit bored today!  Heck, I'm watching the Le Tour de France....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:16 PM by cousinlll »

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Crappie Fishing Gimmicks & Gadgets
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:35 AM »
I'll start out this thread with this:

Dry Hands Minnow Bucket -  http://www.dryhandsminnowbucket.com/

I was looking for a new minnow bucket a while ago & came across this.  Kind of an interesting concept I thought.  I was using the minnow bucket that floated along side your boat.  Worked pretty good but was a bit inconvenient to get a new minnow.

With this minnow bucket, the concept is that you lift up on the false bottom which brings the minnows to the top.  The false bottom is formed in a way that the minnow(s) then slide out the funnel into your hand.  No net needed & your hand doesn't get wet.

So I bought one!  Halibut Warrior bought one also - I'm sure he will give us his review.  I'm happy with it - works as advertised.  Bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it seems to work well.  Only a few small issues that i've found - 1) small minnow can get under the false bottom 2) you need to make sure that the false bottom comes up level or minnows can get under the false bottom 3) little difficult to open until you get the hang of it - such as when adding ice

When I buy minnows, I take in a regular styrofoam bucket into the store then transfer them into the Dry Hands bucket before launching.  Just find it easier that way.  But all things considered, I'm happy with the purchase.

LLL

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:35 AM »
I had one that actually worked. It was like those Alabama rigs that the bass fishermen are so hot on now. This one hung vertical and had 4 or 5 leadered hooks dangling from it and a small float up to to keep it upright. We would drop our lights over the side, put minnows on each hook and then sink these down to the depth that the crappie were staged. Sometimes caught 2 or 3 at a time.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I really like to night fish!  Have been looking for either a LED or a glow stick to put on the end of my rod tips as a bite indicator.  Found these interesting items the other day: http://www.psfishing.com/light.html  I bought some a week ago & haven't used them yet.

They have holders for the glow sticks that are made to the diameter of your rod tip.  The holder just clips onto your rod tip & the glow stick then clips onto the holder.  There are also glow stick holders that has a couple bells on it http://www.psfishing.com/double-rod-bells.html

Then there are a couple different fish attracting lights you attach to your fishing line near your bait, which I thought was interesting.  This one has an internal battery http://www.psfishing.com/fishing-flashlight.html  & in this company's catalog is a glow stick holder, similar to the above rod tip glow light holder, that also attaches to your fishing line near your bait.

I'll give these things a try soon....

LLL

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:04 PM »
I have some good ones, being the only male in the family. One was the wife ordered me The Bandjo Minow Kit. well its in the Chanlder dump.

Offline redmule

• Alamo Slabs...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06 AM »
This is an old one...  When I was a kid (like 50 years ago) my dad took the family to Ocean Lake in WYO...  No limit on the Crappie...  We used a small 1" sq. piece of red flannel on a hook below a bobbler...  After the first fish was caught, we removed the tongue, and put it below the bobber...  The tongue is so tough it stays on for hours...  With this method, we caught so many fish we filled a freezer...

This method has never worked at any other lake I tried, although I haven't tried it in probably 30 years, except for a trip to Ocean Lake with my grandson a few years ago (it didn't work then either, red flannel or tongue)...

True story...    :3some:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of
snakebite...  Furthermore always carry a small
snake.

Chris H

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:51 PM »
hopefully sandman you ain't using the 4-5 hook rig here in AZ :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sandman

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:13 PM »
hopefully sandman you ain't using the 4-5 hook rig here in AZ :dontknow:

Nope, those things didn't make the move out here. Minimal restrictions on crappie in TX as they aren't considered gamefish. Bag limits but no stupid pole restrictions and I think you can use up to 5 or 6 hooks. We spider-rigged most of the time.

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40 AM »
I like my new bucket alot. It eliminates reaching outboard evey time I need to bait up. My thumb was getting raw from opening that dang spring loaded door too. And hey, after four trips I'm still on the first set of copper tops we thought would only last 8hrs. Miser airator. The foam insulation started separating at the seam but a little super glue did the trick. Maybe start placing it inside an iced igloo cooler during them hot times.

My latest thing is night fishing with them break and shake Lumisticks. Chemiluminescent mini glowing light sticks. 2" long, 12bucks a hundred on ebay. One on the rod tip, one down just above the leader. Seems they help the bite and definately help see the rod tip in the dark.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I got one of these a year or so ago.
http://crappicandle.com/index.html
I didn't find it to be effective the few times I tried it but who knows? I didn't give it a real hearty effort either.
Nice tip on looking for those glow stick things on ebay. On reason I don't use them is they are too expensive in stores for a one use item.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal