Author Topic: large crappie! 17"  (Read 8798 times)

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
large crappie! 17"
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:09 PM »
fishing in the wind at Roosevelt using a bbc tipped with a minnow.

Rocky

Offline sandman

Re: large crappie! 17"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Holy cow nice fish!  Weight?  Any numbers?  Conratulations!

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Nice one Rocko!

Yeah, wind was "interesting" today wasn't it!  We were only on the water for a couple hours after setting up camp at windy hill. Noticed driving in that the tonto end was a bit calmer so drove over to cholla & put in there. Fished around the trees & channel with no luck.  As usual, graphed a lot of "something" in the creek channel...... :dontknow:

LLL

Piscolli

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:00 AM »
WOW!

wadefisherman

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Now thats what I call a slab! Did you weight her?

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:56 PM »
I'm not sure how accurate my fish weigher is, but she was about 3.8 lbs and 17" long.  She was no state record, but by far the largest crappie anyone in my family has ever caught.  I only caught 2 crappie, the wind just did not allow us to fish the only school of active crappie we found on the screen.  I've heard that big fish like to feed in the wind.  Such as a wind blown point.  Does anyone know if this applys with crappie?  I know it does with other species,  like bass, pike, or walleye.  I guess the bait fish get blown with the wind current and become easy targets for big fish.  We were in more of a wind blown cove.  Right were the fish were was the only water that had reached 62 degrees.  We found many other schools of crappie on the fhis finder, but the only ones that would bite at all were in warmer water.

The only active crappie we found were out in front of the trees on the salt end over 25' of water.  The wind was blowing hard right to where the fish were hanging out.  I can't wait to go back when the fish are more active!  Good luck all...
Rocky

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Nice fish Rocko, not a state record unless your scale weighs light but if you have not eaten it already? g and f does a yearly big fish for each species if you can get it weighed on a certified scale that might go for big fish for 2012

Did you find the 62 degree water way up the salt or tonto end?--thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:28 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:52 PM »
salt
Rocky

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Rocko, nice fish.  You deserve it for fishing in that wind!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal