Author Topic: Archery Equipment  (Read 7514 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Archery Equipment
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Well... This is a crappie website, but with that, I believe most of us are outdoors men who probably hunt or shoot or whatever else.

Anyway! I have an elk hunt in a few weeks and I've had my bow for nearly 14 years now. My dad bought it for me when I was just a kid getting into hunting so I've never really looked into researching bow or the equipment. With that said, I've never changed the strings, the site, the rest and still use the original aluminum arrows I got when I first got the bow.

My question for everyone here who's done research with bows or uses them or whatever is, what's the best, or ideal, equipment to get for my bow? Where can I get the string replaced and any idea how much that will cost me? Does anyone here use the Whisker Biscuit rest and what do you think about it? The arrows confused me the most as there were dozens of variations. I know I want to get carbon arrows, but I wasn't sure what to look for in weight or anything else. ALSO! What's your favorite broad head to use for archery hunting? I've always used the old-school Thunderheads, but that's because it's the only thing I really know to use. I see a lot more options out there that look way better for a clean, fast kill.

Sorry for so many questions, just would like some input from everyone! Thanks!

PhishingPhreek

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
Re: Archery Equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Bear Mountain in Mesa is where I go for string repair their techs are very good (ask for Willie) he is an avid shooter and treats your equipment as his own. There inventory is not the greatest however I believe they will install parts bought else where. I do have a whisker bisket on my bow and love it. Hope this helps

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Go to Bass Pro and see Stan or Randy, they are awesome.

Offline Crowbait

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Where to start:
The first thing you have to do is decide which bow company you are going to shoot.
I hear wonderful things about Mathews but still shoot PSE. There are many bow companies. 
I have a whisker biscuit and have no problems with it. In fact I wish I had it 10 years ago. String replacement can be done at most shops I wouldn't worry about that.

Carbon arrows are great. They increase speed. The bows now are so good that you don't really have to worry about speed because they are all fast. Anything over 300 FPS is moving good.
The arrow options will depend on the poundage you pull and length.  Cheap arrows are just that cheap and hazardous so use caution.

Broadheads. I have been shooting Wasp Jackhammers for 20 years now. I have only lost one bull. Single lung hit, tracked for 2 or 3 miles. never found him.
It is a mechanical and a lot of people don't like them on Bulls but it is all shot placement. I have shot through most animals I've hit.

What ever you decide make sure you dial in with the arrow and broadhead you are going to shoot. Just because the Field tip is same wt as your broadhead doesn't mean they will fly the same. The bummer is that is expensive to practice with broadhead but it beats not missing the elk.

Are you in 5b south?
I will be in 6B

IF you need anything else let me know

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17 PM »
I ended up getting most of my stuff at Cabela's a few weeks ago. Spent quite a while with Scott talking about all the options I should/could go with for the bow.

Ended up getting Cabela's Brand Carbon Arrows, which are made by Easton. I was happy about that because they were slightly cheaper but they were still technically an Easton product. (which I love)

Also got the whisker biscuit. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet since I increased my bow to 60lbs (No idea why it wasn't there already) and I still haven't put the new string on. I would hate to shoot the bow when I've added 10lbs in pull weight with a string that I thought was a questionable at 50lbs. I'm stopping by a buddy's house tonight to have his dad put the string on for me.

I also went with a new (to me) STEEL FORCE Sabertooth broadheads. They have the 4 blades, which is more than the 3 blade thunderheads I've been using! lol  :)  So, we'll see how these work out for me.

All-in-all, I feel like I have a new bow that should work out great for me. Now if I can get this thing sighted in this weekend I should be tagging my else this time (maybe sooner) next Friday.

BTW, I'll be in 5A if anyone else will be hunting up around there.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:34 PM »
glad you got a new arrows and equip, cool sure you have a good range finder and binoculars, and get out and shoot the new arrows at different distances, practice practice so when the big day comes you is ready.

buddy was up in 4A scouting and last year with the warm temps and terrible monsoon the bulls were real quiet almost all through september?? he was up there two weeks ago and it sounds like a bugel fest after dark.

good luck with the hunt
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal