Author Topic: Fish with Teeth at Lake Mary!  (Read 7780 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Fish with Teeth at Lake Mary!
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Spent an extended weekend at Lake Mary fishing for some Fish with Teeth - Northern Pike & Walleye.  No problem finding the Pike but the Walleye were a different story.  Here's my long report so grab a chair and a cup of coffee!

Started out on Thursday evening for a couple hours throwing a white spinnerbait and kept getting numerous strikes but no hookups.  I even had a trailer hook on and that didn't seem to help but did manage to boat six pike.

Got to the lake late on Friday morning and decided troll for Walleye.  Spent the most of the day trolling with Tail Dancers, Jointed Cranks, Stickbaits w/ bottom bouncers and even tried throwing jigs for a while - no joy!  Got frustrated and decided to switch back to Pike at around 4pm.  Started casting the shoreline again with the white spinnerbait and had the same problem - lots of strikes with a few hookups.  Something about that spinnerbait they didn't like.  Made the switch to a chart chatterbait and game on!  The pike were all over it and ended the day on a positive note with the biggest at around 3.5lbs.

On the lake early Saturday and thought I would give a buzzbait a quick try.  Casted the shoreline between the middle ramp and the damn - And boys & girls there is still a great buzzbait bite happening!  The Pike did a number on my buzzbait as I boated 7 Pike.  Nothing like Topwater Pike action!  At the damn switched back to my feeble attempt to catch a Walleye as I waited for Sparkcasher to arrive.  Trolled & casted all around the damn side of the lake NADA!  Dave showed up around 1pm and headed to the south end of the lake to get away from all the ski boats.  Trolled for Walleye using spinners/live bait rigs until evening and again, NADA.

Question:  Do you think boat traffic affects the fishing?  So that evening before leaving we moved back to the north side of the lake where all the ski boats were.  We tried casting the shoreline with my beat-up buzzbait & spinnerbaits in an area I had success at before with no luck.  My thought is all the wake from the boats made the fish move deeper.....

Sunday morning Dave & I started Pike fishing again using buzzbaits & spinnerbaits.  My poor buzzbait needed a facelift as much of the skirt was gone.  Added a green double tailed grub trailer and that seemed to help.  Looked like a frog and the Pike really seemed to go for it.  Lot's-o-Fun this am with the overcast sky that stayed around until mid morning and topwater Pike!

Dave headed for home shortly after that and I fished on a bit more until 6pm when my already sore shoulders told me enough was enough!  Don't know how many Pike we caught but it was a great trip.  Thanks Dave for joining me & I'm sure he will have something to add....

LLL

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:39 AM by cousinlll »

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Fish with Teeth at Lake Mary!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:27 PM »
sounds like fun. thanks for the post.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Thanks Hawk - Hey, had thought about your vehicle situation PM Sent

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Thanks again champ, really enjoyed the trip. I think the best time was watching your reaction to the pike smashing that buzzbait Sunday morning. Wish I had the video camera rolling....One of these days we will find the "eyes" up there. I thought crappie were hard to find at times, but damn I think "eyes" take the cake....Unless you are at Apache of course...lol
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Great pictures!

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Slimmy, toothy bastards! They taste like bass, lol. Great job fellas!

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:25 AM »
Slimmy, toothy bastards! They taste like bass, lol. Great job fellas!

Slimmy, toothy bastards - yes they are!  And they are, IMO, better tasting than bass.  I'll even go as far to say they rank up there with Crappie & Walleye.  Still nothing like a good Walleye or Crappie fry though.  I do remember, however, all the Northern Pike fish frys we went to while vacationing in northern Minnesota and how good eating the fish were.  I really need to learn how to remove the "Y" bones - not difficult just out of practice.

LLL

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:02 AM »
indeed going out after snake northerns on purpose. they were just a pain in the ass back in south canada, mn. now were out after them on pu rpose. the eyes are thick at apache, but its a little warmer than lake mary. they are very tasty though just not mush meat to the little one by the time you debone them. one poster said to cube the meat. never heard of that it sounds good idea. how to?

Offline azslabber

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:32 PM »
You guys did'nt throw any Old School Rapalas??

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Cool report.  Sounds lie lots of fun. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal