Author Topic: Fillet Knives  (Read 5313 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Fillet Knives
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Ok, so my current fillet knife sucks!  What brand & model do you guys recommend & why?  I do need an ac/dc model & am thinking about one of the rechargeable ones.  Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations.....

LLL
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:24 PM by cousinlll »

Offline sandman

Re: Fillet Knives
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:08 PM »
The rechargeables get heavy pretty quick. Also, the batteries are only designed to last about 2 yrs. Once the battery goes out, it's dead. Several models that I tried were 'battery only' meaning that you had to have the battery charged before using it. Can't just plug it in and keep going when the battery gets weak.

I went through 5 or 6 Mister Twisters after they switched to the 'heavy duty motor'. Seems that as part of that switch, they also switched to plastic gears. They warranteed them out but it was a pain to keep shipping them back and forth. They may work fine on smaller bass and crappie but those striper rib bones will tear those gears out.

I got a good AC/DC one and I think that it was an American Angler or something like that. It's in the RV and I can't check the exact brand.

I have an old Hamilton/Scovill that just keeps going. Sharpened the blades until they wouldn't sharpen any more and now I'm on my second set of blades.

Check out some of the Alaska fishing websites for recs. Those guys put a knife to the test.

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31 AM »
I got my electric knife @ Bass Pro Shops. It is a Ginsu (yes same Ginsu as the kitchen knives as you see cutting nails on the shopping network) I really like this knife came with two sets of blades and has the adaptor to plug into the wall or hook up to an automotive battery for remote fish cleaning.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I think you have seen mine in action Larry. I got the Rapala, AC/DC. I like it, but it took some time getting used to. It worked great up at Powell though, cuts just a little slower than the other one I had. I'm pretty sure it's the one Ron has as well. It's not rechargeable though.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:01 AM »
I have two of the American angler fillet knifes which have great handles for (ergonomics-- as in easy to hold :headbang:) one is 115volt a/c and the other the 12volt model that you put clips on the battery. The 12volt does not quite have the power of the 110volt but both work well. You can actually buy small 12volt dry cell batteries to carry it to fish cleaning stations :confused1: they have both sliced up a lot of crappie fillets. What I really like is the old blades were getting wore out even with sharpening and stumbled on new super thin serrated blades at walmart that were listed as fitting the American angler and other brands. These new blades are bad ass, slice and dice quick and flex so easy to cut around and through bones etc.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

wadefisherman

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 06:00 AM »
 :dance: +1 on the Walmart skinny blades Bruce posted, they work great with the American Angler. Been using it for years, Willie just sharpened up my blades for me. I like the American angler better than my Rapala knife. I keep it in the Rapala in the truck just for back up.

Offline sandman

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:13 AM »
I think that the replacement blades that I bought were called Piranha blades or something. Thin and sharp!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal