Author Topic: Looks Bad for SC  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Tombstone King

Looks Bad for SC
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:37 PM »
It looks like they finally quit draining the lake over the weekend but not until they got it down to 2000 acre feet (less than 1/2 percent of capacity.  If the following link does not work, you can get there through G&F lake levels, then US Geologic Survey.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?cb_all_00054_00065=on&cb_00054=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&begin_date=2012-05-24&end_date=2012-06-11&site_no=09469000

As I recall, the last time it nearly went dry, minimum pool was at 2500 acre feet and it didn't get down to that level until late in the summer.  Lots of hot dry days remaining this summer makes it look pretty bad for fish survival.  Anybody been over to see it?  Any point raising a ruckus, and who would the ruckus be raised with? 

Piscolli

Re: Looks Bad for SC
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:28 PM »
You can talk to the Gila County Water District, Bureau of Indian Affairs, CAP or Senator McCain. They will all tell you the same thing, the reservoir is for irrigation and the water rights belong to the farmers downstream in the Coolidge area.

There is a "minimum fish pool", however it is only 960 acre feet. At the level the water at the dam would only be a few feet deep and a kill off is almost certain. Especially in the summer when the surface temps will reach the upper eighties.

Looks like curtains for SC this year but I still have my fingers crossed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal