Author Topic: San Carlos  (Read 118199 times)

Offline toon

San Carlos
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:15 AM »
by the chart , looks  like lake is at last years Oct. levels  ,  next question do you think any fish are in there? and when will lake reopen?   Hoping lake will survive

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
Re: San Carlos
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:44 AM »
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54 AM »
thanks for the link Dave. Its looks like it really happened, fish kill. May be some fish will make it

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Yea, last year we heard all of the rumors which turned out to be false. This year it might have really happened. To bad ,what a waste of a great fishery. Hopefully Rosey will pop off this year, and in the spring.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:55 PM »
That sure doesn't look good.  Of course, won't know extent until one of us gets down there.  Wonder when they'll open it.  We need some insiders there.  For all we know it's opened and some website never got updated.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:49 PM »
looks bad, what a stinky mess that must be!!!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

wadefisherman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:40 AM »
What a f--king waste of a great fishery. On the bright side there probably is a huge explosion of crawdads.

Offline sandman

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:24 PM »
I was thinking that it may improve the smell of that area.

Offline Tombstone King

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40 AM »
I just talked to a wildlife biologist with the San Carlos Game and Fish.  She said there was a major die off but not a complete kill.  They expect the fishery to come back on its own but they do have contingency plans to restock bass and catfish (but not crappie) if needed.  She said one of the main reasons the lake was closed, was because so many people were getting stuck in the mud.  They have been monitoring the water quality and although improved with the new inflows, it is still pretty poor.  She does not know how long it will be closed.  They are arranging for a survey to be done where they will be netting fish to get an idea of how many and what species survived.  She said they did release some water for a while after the lake came up some, but said that was to flush out some of the bad water as opposed to downstream irrigation demands.  She said no water is being released as of now.

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Thanks TK,
Very nice report to a very important concern. I already miss that lake and hope it gets back to close to normal soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal