Author Topic: Lake Powell last week of Sept (Tues- Sat)  (Read 8824 times)

wadefisherman

Lake Powell last week of Sept (Tues- Sat)
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Had another awesome week at lake Powell this year. Slayed the (100 or so) smallies and 4-5 lb Stripers in the back of Rock Creek up by Dangling Rope. Super Spoon bite, White 1.5 oz in 50-60' seemed to work best if anyone is heading up that way. The weather was awesome, low 60's at night, high 80's during the day. Best smallie was about 3 lbs, only picked up 1 dink lm.

Only set back was my starter battery died for some reason on Sat, went to swap out with one of the TM batteries and crossed up the wires, that is not a good thing I found out. Could not get juice to the starter key. Checked every fuse I could see without any luck. Got towed into Dangling rope for a mechanic to take a look at it. Heres a little tidbit for all you Yamaha owners out there, there are main line fuses located on the right side of the engine. Luckily Yamaha gives you a spare in the engine compartment. After a quick charge and fuse swap out, I was on my way again. Found a place on line to get them for $3 bucks apiece, Yamaha wanted $36.

Heres a problem that has occurred twice now on my Powell trips. My 2 bank charger gave out a few years ago and this time my 3 bank charger stopped working after a few days of being juiced up by my Honda 2000 generator. Why would the chargers go bad by being on a generator? Hopefully Cabellas will cut me a break, the charger is 2.5 years old.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Lake Powell last week of Sept (Tues- Sat)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:21 AM »
That a boy Brian!  Nice job on the Smallies & Stripers.  Sounded like a great trip despite the electrical problems.

As for the charger issue, I can see "dirty" power from the average generators taking out the circuit boards on the chargers.  However the Honda's have always been pretty reliable as far as generating "clean" power - one of their claims to fame so to speak.  Maybe take the Honda in to make sure the power output is good?

LLL

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48 AM »
sounds like a great trip, I love white spoons, dang I want to get up there again but all I do is talk about going. Ya honda generators are known for being stable, lots of people including myself have charged off generators, make sure the generator is warmed up and don't put any other kind of load on it (especially where it pulls amps quick and the generator powers up to meet the needs) that can spike into the charger and tear up circuit board (isolate charging to the generator only). Glad you got things fixed at dangling rope, have had good luck with service up there when we needed parts in the old days.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53 AM »
One of these days....... thanks for the report.

Offline sandman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:53 AM »
The power management ICs on some of the newer chargers don't like anything but a pure sinewave. They will work for a while but they have to run hotter. The chips don't like hot. Also depends on how the feedback loop is designed. The older chargers have a 'manual' setting that is not as picky as to the input source.

Does your charger say Made In China on it?

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:05 AM »

Does your charger say Made In China on it?

what doesn't

wadefisherman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19 AM »
The 1st one was a guest and this one is cabellas, probably both from china.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal