Author Topic: Roosevelt 10/12 - 10/13 - BHCC  (Read 5627 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Roosevelt 10/12 - 10/13 - BHCC
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:21 PM »
OK, I fished Friday afternoon and Saturday morning all on the Tonto end.  Tried fishing in the trees and around the trees but no fish and no boats really in that area.  So moved to large bay across from Cholla ramp and to the west.  Saw a few other AZCrappie fishermen there and they weren't having luck either.  Probably spent 10 hours on the water over 2 days and have one confirmed 6" bass.

Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic (BHCC) was this weekend.  There were 11 teams entered into the competition and only 4 teams came back with crappie.

1st place - Team "Metalbndr" had 3 fish totaling 3.17lbs
2nd place - Team "meNRats" had 1 fish at 1.6lbs (this also won the big fish award)
3rd place - Team "Freshwater" had 1 fish at 1.14lbs

The teams that caught fish I believe caught them all on the Salt end but I will await their fishing reports for details.

Thanks to all who entered and made the BHCC another successful event.  So many people helped out in a variety of ways.  Thanks again!!

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
Re: Roosevelt 10/12 - 10/13 - BHCC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Ditto what Bob stated.  It was a very tough bite for sure, one reason I have not fished Roosevelt for over three years! That lake has my number along with A LOT of other people that I know are good Crappie fishermen!

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:12 PM »
hard to tell crappie from yellow bass or gizzard shad on the electronics

You got that right Bob!  We've been talking about that for a bit now trying to prove what I see on my 998 is actually Crappie.  One thought was, seeing somewhat faint arched returns (where the HB fish ID symbol wouldn't pop up) that were vertically stacked indicated Crappie  :dontknow:  Guess we need a SCUBA diver or maybe the club should invest in this:  http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130487

Some good discussion before we had to get back to town, thinking of hitting Pleasant soon to have a look around again.

Would love to hear more discussions on Lake Pleasant Crappie.  People keep on saying they're few & far between.  For me, it's da challenge of actually being able to find them.  I've only heard the stories.....

LLL

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20 PM »
$100 for an aqua view underwater camera?  Sounds like a bargain.  Wonder how well it works though.  Someone's gotta put one of those down when our fish finder is lit up with fish and really see what they are.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Some good discussion before we had to get back to town, thinking of hitting Pleasant soon to have a look around again.

I am in for Pleasant just say when. 

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:22 PM »
$100 for an aqua view underwater camera?  Sounds like a bargain.  Wonder how well it works though.  Someone's gotta put one of those down when our fish finder is lit up with fish and really see what they are.

They don't work very well unless the water is CRYSTAL clear!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15 PM »
the underwater cameras work when a lake is clear if there is much stain even with the light on you can't see much, I had my camera on a 15' decoy retrieval pole and when bartlett had those orange habitat buoys with habitat below and the lake was clear it was kind of neat to see all the bass and crappie around the habitat (even if they weren't biting well.)

Pleasant has crappie got into a good spring bite up there (actually late spawn) wish I would of gone a couple weeks earlier caught both white and black crappie up spawning it was a blast.

Did any of you see any signs of dead fish on shore from the "golden algae"?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Boy, you guys sure took me literally!  The camera thing was meant to be a somewhat left hand turn funny.... :icon_jokercolor:   :sad3:

Did any of you see any signs of dead fish on shore from the "golden algae"?

If I remember correctly, Hawk & I only saw 1 floater & that was last weekend??

LLL
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:15 PM by cousinlll »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal