Author Topic: Spinning reel recommendations?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline longroofracer

Spinning reel recommendations?
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I recently picked up a few new spinning rods on some clearance deals. 5' Cherrywood and Ugly stick ultralights. I have always used the cheapo spincast combos in the past, and have no experience with open faced reels... and need some suggestions on what works well in the less than $50 budget, and isn't going to be junk the second time I try to use it.

Stopped in at BPS and met Bill, really nice of him to take a few minutes to chat with me. He offered some suggestions, and I didn't think to write down any specific models#, and I should have since I might order online if I am not going to be in the neighborhood.

Thanks
Tom

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Spinning reel recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I'm a Shimano fan - firm believer in you get what you pay for!  With that said, here are my two recommendations given your budget:

Spend a few $$ more and get a Sahara:  www.basspro.com/Shimano-Sahara-FD-Spinning-Reels/product/102801/-1532599

Or the Sedona:  www.basspro.com/Shimano-Sedona-FD-Spinning-Reels/product/10203500/-1532576

I currently have a couple of Saharas that I use drop shot & wacky rigging for green carp.  I  would suggest the 2500 version of either of these two - JMHO.... :greengrin:

LLL
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:30 PM by cousinlll »

Offline azslabber

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:22 PM »
I like the Mitchell Avocate myself.Especially with 4 lb. test.Close the bail with your hands like you are supposed to and you won't have any problems.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:01 AM »
I've got a couple BPS reels thats been good to me so far.

Piscolli

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:21 AM »
I've got a couple BPS reels thats been good to me so far.

The Pro Qualifier spins are little work horses, great for trolling. They have great anti-reverse, strong drag and they are smooth. I have 3 of them and love them but I just bought a Johnny Morris (the Pro Qual's big brother) and can't wait to try it.

The Shimano's are awesome spinning reel. Larry is right, if you can spend the extra money ($79), buy the Saraha. I have 2 and use them for casting. The Sedona's at $59 are great reels as well.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I use the very expensive zebco 33 reel buy them as a combo reel an rod for $19 on sale and $24 regular price, line them with 6lb clear sensation and off I go, since I don't troll much but cast lures the closed face zebco works great with no line binds.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline longroofracer

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:50 PM »
I'm a Shimano fan - firm believer in you get what you pay for!  With that said, here are my two recommendations given your budget:

Spend a few $$ more and get a Sahara:  www.basspro.com/Shimano-Sahara-FD-Spinning-Reels/product/102801/-1532599

Or the Sedona:  www.basspro.com/Shimano-Sedona-FD-Spinning-Reels/product/10203500/-1532576

I currently have a couple of Saharas that I use drop shot & wacky rigging for green carp.  I  would suggest the 2500 version of either of these two - JMHO.... :greengrin:

LLL
Okay,stupid question here. Looking at the link, and other brands too, I see different part numbers referring to different line capacities, different ratios and line recovery rates. Are the reels the same and just the spools different, and are the spools interchangeable from one reel of the same model to the next? For example, would the spool from a SE2500FD work on a SE4000FD if I were to get the SE4000FD to begin with? Are there any real issues using a lighter line than listed, such as using a 4# line on the 2500 or 4000?
Thanks

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:07 PM »
The frame, rotor and spools are all different sizes. Not interchangeable.

Offline longroofracer

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:16 PM »
From what I am reading, the larger capacity reels weigh more, so I am guessing that plays into it also. Other than the weight, is there any reason not to go with the larger version, and are there problems with using lighter line on them?
Thanks!

Piscolli

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33 PM »
It will take a ton of lite line to fill a large cap reel. But what your really looking for is balance with the rod. If hour going to buy a reel fir a rod you already have, bring the rod with you and fit a reel to it. Or tell me the length and action of the rod and the model of reel your interested in. I will probably know what size reel to use. I have fitted hundreds of rod reel combos.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal