Author Topic: mounting a transducer on front of boat (but not on the trolling motor) how  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Sitting here watching the cardinals get embarrassed again!! so, BPS finally has the 581 hummingbird in and after returning my omega combo I bought the delta zebco reel to try and thought what the heck for $299 for down scan and dual beam graph with GPS I thought I am going for it so grabbed the 581. My question is have the Terrova with the universal transducer which will not work with down scan, can mount the humminbird transducer to the troll motor and take the head of the trolling motor off to run the transducer wire down the groove in the shaft (past the power drive motor) butttttttttttttttttt, I have had a habit in the past when fishing up real shallow in the spring of hitting my transducer on tree limbs or bottom and have broke several off which for the old 320 and 480 were not to expensive till like a year ago then they went wayyyyyyy up in $$. The down scan transducer are for sure pricey, also lots of people have reported interference on their graph from the minn kota troll motors.

My goofy idea is to mount the transducer on a separate extendable shaft independent from the troll motor, looked on google search and not much info there other than one guy that used PVC pipe and a jerry rigged set up to us the transducer up front. Wondering if anyone has tried this or seen any set up that works?

thanks
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Here ya go Bruce.....

http://www.podunkideas.com/da-ducer-apparatustrade.html

Transducer mounts on the bottom & GPS puck on top.  Retracts just like your TM.  They mention mounting their SI transducer but I'm sure your DI will work just fine.  Same but different!  :greengrin:  The basic one is stationary (good for your 2D & DI) & the deluxe rotates 180* which is more for SI transducers if your want to turn the transducer to scan an area.

This guy posts a lot on Crappie.com & I've dealt with him a few time on different products he makes.

LLL
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:05 PM by cousinlll »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Hey Larry,
thanks, that is a great set up, little pricey, after I looked at it on a google search there were several other ideas for mounting the transducer off the troll motor that looked like a neat way to go, several home made but looked like they would work great. Now I need to decide which I want to go with then experiment with it :notworthy:

thanks again for the info
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:00 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal