Author Topic: Slab Leak  (Read 13656 times)

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
Slab Leak
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Ok, after some time of researching and doing some simple troubleshooting I have realized we have a slab leak at my house. Not only hot water, but cold water as well. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this, and if so is it something I can tackle myself. I think I have located the general area of the hot water leak, by finding warm tile, but no idea where to begin on the cold side. By my calculations I'm loosing 1 gallon a minute to somewhere. Only to find my back yard saturated about 30 feet from where I feel the warm tile. We are controlling the water by closing a ball valve on the main to the house, but I worry about the slab falling. Especially since it is right at my son's room entrance. Any help, or refrences would greatly help and ease my llittle mind.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Slab Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Were you able to get ahold of RYCO?

Don't go PSYCHO - just call RYCO!!   :greengrin:  http://www.rycoplumbing.com  Da Zone's Official Plumber....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:58 AM by cousinlll »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Homeowner's insurance would possibly cover that.  Make sure you've gone that route to see and then have the professionals come in.

By the way, I love the title of this this.  I saw "Slab Leak" and thought you were talking crappie and had to read it immediately!

Offline wally g

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:03 PM »
shut off hot water heater-
doubt that both are leaking at the same time.
cold water should work .
is line copper or pex?  Call me at 907-953-3308
i'll walk you through it.

Wally g

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Hopefully homeowners insurance will pay for it?

they are using a new process now to fix under slab leaks, they have been using it for several years for broken or damaged sewer lines but they are now using it for fresh water, they inject an epoxy into the pipes and let it cure and it fixes the leak without tearing up the slab, heard rosy on the house talk about it the other week on the radio, might be an option for you, couple companies in the valley are now certified to do this type of repair?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I had that happen years ago.  You need to call your home-owners insurance company.  Get a price from a plumbing contractor (Ryco would be a good choice I'm betting) .  The insurance company will  pay for everything except for the actual repair of the pipe.     

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I'm in contact with my insurance, and yes, they pretty much said they will pay for any damage to the house caused by the leak, but not repair the leak???? I have coper lines, and there are two leaks, or more lol.  Bruce, I will look into that type of repair, seems much easier than tearing up my house. Most people say to abandon the old lines and reroute lines up and over with pex. Of course that will not be covered. Have a guy coming tomorrow from city wide to find the hot water leak, and hopefully the cold water leak will be in the same area. Guess if and when I have them open a hole in the slab, will see how much the ground has been washed away. I have heard of people getting slurry pumped into the affected area so your slab won't fall. I'll keep you posted.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:33 AM »
good luck hopefully the leaks are near each other (they have sounding equipment that can pretty much locate a leak down to a very close area)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 07:54 AM »
I'm in contact with my insurance, and yes, they pretty much said they will pay for any damage to the house caused by the leak, but not repair the leak????
Wtf? Man they really rip you off don't they?

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Ok so the plumber showed up and said they need to come back with more equipment to actually locate the cold water leak which will be $450. Insurance says they will not pay for anything unless there is actual damage to the house, which of course at this point I don't have. Just have water leaking under the slab. So at this point I am going to see what they find tomorrow and go forward. Anyone have a jackhammer to rent? LOL
SEA.....HAWKS....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal