Author Topic: Canyon Lake  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Red64

Canyon Lake
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:48 PM »
 :sign0144:We are going to do some night fishing at Canyon Lake tommorow. We are kind of new to Crappie fishing in AZ.  Looking to fish the area from Aztec Goddess Cliff to Aspen Cove. We are going to try minnows, jigs and small spinners. Any suggestions of other places to fish Canyon? Thanks

Piscolli

Re: Canyon Lake
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Although Crappie are in Canyon, its not really considered a Crappie Lake. In the mid 90's I did try lights at night around the marina slips, I think I caught 4 and they were tiny.

I would say not to try though. I have heard of crappie in the first cove (first bridge) you drive over coming in from AJ. Nd also around the beach area by the camp grounds at Laguna. It would be intersting to know if there's any kind of a bite there, and night with no moon would be the best time to try.

Offline Red64

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Would a better beg be Saguaro? I was looking at the structure/fish habitat at Campers Cove area.

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Would a better beg be Saguaro? I was looking at the structure/fish habitat at Campers Cove area.

Sorry, I just saw this and I see that you tried Sag already. So I guess my answer would be no.

There are Crappie in all the Salt River Lakes. The trouble with Can and Sag is that there is a very limited area for Crappie to spawn. Couple that with the lake level changing 4 to 6 feet a day because of the pump back. It makes it pretty much impossible for Crappie to reproduce in big numbers.

A few years ago the boat store at Sag had several pictures of monster Crappie. What I've heard is that in the early 90's when the lake was brought about 60' for dam inspections and all the artificial structure was added to Butcher Jones, Crappie were stocked. For a few years the fishing was pretty good. But when they out lived their lifespan, there weren't enough young one to replace them. And that was that as far as Sag being a serious "Crappie Lake".

Another interesting story was back in I think 2004. I heard of a crew of old guys that night fished off a pontoon. They would post up just outside of Skunk Wash, put out lights and hammer the Crappie. I tried this once or twice with no results. I did however have more zooplankton around my lights than I've ever seen.

Also, I have an Al Linder DVD I bought years ago were he is fishing Roosevelt. Rosey was one of his favorite pre-spawn lakes and he would come down here every spring. The during the night fishing segment of this DVD they show the ramp 1 at Sag just before dawn.??????? Did Al know something about Sag that we didn't???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal