Author Topic: i might have battery issue any help?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
i might have battery issue any help?
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:28 AM »
when i recharge me two trolling motor batts. the first bank on the charger flashes red after ithe baterry is charged. so it shows green but every 20 to 30 seconds the cahrger for that bank flashes red. and i might be down to only one baterry runnin. i havent really taxed the unit lately but did seam to lose charge more quickly the last couple trips. is the red flash telling me this baterry is not holding a charge?

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: i might have battery issue any help?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03 AM »
First if all, which battery charger do you have as different chargers indicate different things?  I'm assuming you have a two or three bank charger?

Ok, so have you checked your batteries water level?  How old are they?

So on my Dual Pro charger, if my led is flashing red there is usually a battery problem.  Had that happen a couple times.  Easiest way to trouble shoot this is to switch charger leads from one battery to the other (if able).  If the flashing led switches to the other bank, then you have a bad battery.  Otherwise it'll be a charger issue.  Weakest link are the batteries themselves & would bet you have a bad one.  If your TM is a 24 volt system (2 batteries connected in series) there are some folks out there that say to change them as a set.  Thought is if you only change one of the two batteries, the older/weaker battery would degrade the performance of the newer battery.  Not sure what setup you have but even if you have a 12 volt TM & have 2 batteries connected in parallel, the same thought could apply about changing out the set.

LLL
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:15 AM by cousinlll »

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:58 AM »
thx cuz. it is the 24 volt system with a dual bank charger. its the first bank showing the issue. it charges and turns grenn in the usual time but then when green it flashes red like every 30 seconds or so. baterry is cabellas largest agm somethin nonmaintenance and i recall both are 2 years old. they do get alot of work. i have a battery tester...which apparently doesnt work when things are hooked in series cuz it just showed both baterries at ten percent charge. then i hooked em up and both showed full green, i had charged them after getting off the water two saturdays ago, so that appears good except the first bank again is flshing red. and the more i think about it the more i believe that batts been down my last two trips. ive been losing sat contact and seemingly some power after 3 hours instead of the usual 8. hmmm. thx again for the help. best batt out there?

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:52 PM »
It's rather expensive, but, Jeff made me change both TM batteries a couple of years ago and I haven't had an issue since and Lord knows mine get used! I use Interstate and got them from Davin and Jeff...........Art 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:48 PM »
WOW Art, I have had terrible luck with interstate batteries, been through 3 in less than 15months on my troll motor :dontknow:, best thing to do is take the troll batteries out and take them to checker or one of the auto stores and have them test it for load? sounds like you may have a bad cell in the one battery :crybaby2:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18 PM »
Lately I been running the Kirkland Costco deep cycle marine. 24v set up with an old two bank chgr. I check the cells with a hydrometer if I suspect anything going tango uniform. Think the're made by Interstate. (did not like that brand in AK), but since Costco backs them here its an easy switch out. Inside twelve months/no chg. after that, pro-rate. Have had to return within 30 months but cheeper than paying full price. Replaced my Blue Top with a Kirkland this year when I saw the new price for them. I swear lead is going to be the next "precious metal". We'll see how good it performs.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Blue tops all the way. I have had my blues for almost 2 yrs now. Most of those two years hard use on them only had trolling motor and those batteries pushed me along anywhere I wanted at 1 mph lol did what I had to do. Anyways still have them to this day. I ran them all day today and half the day tomorrow with out a charge inbetween. It's all about charging your battery with as low of an amperage you can. I use a 6 amp setting to charge and then hook to a trickle. Always ready for ALL of weekend :headbang:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:15 PM by ArZFisher »

wadefisherman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06 AM »
My blue tops have been going strong for three years but I think they are starting to give up the ghost.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal