Author Topic: Cheater on the lake, would you turn him in?  (Read 125876 times)

Bob M

Cheater on the lake, would you turn him in?
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Suppose you fished beside another boat on Bartlett today for an hour or better (one guy in a boat all by himself) and watched him get into a small school of biting crappie only to then realize as he flips them into his boat one right after the other that he has 5 rods with double baits on all in the water at the same time.  Must be that new 5 pole stamp.  :icon_scratch:  A quick 6 fish straight into his cooler, all throw backs to us except 1, then his buddy pulls up beside him with 5 rods out between the two in his boat and they also boat a quick several dinks. :dink:

For further thought consider you have ALL of this recorded on two HD video cameras that are mounted to your boat and were already recording when you first pulled into the area.  What would you do with this info?  Not wanting to stir up crap here guys but if I have to follow the rules I think everyone should! :angry4:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Cheater on the lake, would you turn him in?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:40 PM »
The easiest answer for all of us that were not there is to say turn them in: http://www.azgfd.gov/ogt.shtml or http://www.azgfd.gov/ogt_form.shtml  You know the deal Bob, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard!

My initial thought was to ask 1) if you talked with them 2) were they locals or snowbirds  - but do these questions really matter as responsible sportsman know the rules.  It all boils down to how far YOU want to take it.  Easy for me to sit here and suggest you to email the videos to Game & Fish when I'm uncertain what I would even do in a similar situation.  I would certainly support your decision to become involved.  Part of the AZCA motto is to "Promote & Protect" - is this the time to "protect" our delicate Crappie resource while at the same time "promoting" the club's push for a 10" minimum using this event as a beginning dialog with Game & Fish......

LLL

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:52 PM »
The easiest answer for all of us that were not there is to say turn them in: http://www.azgfd.gov/ogt.shtml or http://www.azgfd.gov/ogt_form.shtml  You know the deal Bob, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard!

My initial thought was to ask 1) if you talked with them 2) were they locals or snowbirds  - but do these questions really matter as responsible sportsman know the rules.  It all boils down to how far YOU want to take it.  Easy for me to sit here and suggest you to email the videos to Game & Fish when I'm uncertain what I would even do in a similar situation.  I would certainly support your decision to become involved.  Part of the AZCA motto is to "Promote & Protect" - is this the time to "protect" our delicate Crappie resource while at the same time "promoting" the club's push for a 10" minimum using this event as a beginning dialog with Game & Fish......

LLL

Well said LLL +1

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Promote/ Protect!

Offline Mike / T

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12 PM »
If had the chance would let them know what I thought which child molesting is a crime....... and should not be done

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:31 PM »
The 10" rule is just a crappie club protocol and decision, gives the little guys a chance to grow up and be useable :dontknow:

Would I turn them in, you bet I would ;D I call in OGT calls all the time actually called in one couple years ago and a g and f officer was available, met with him explained what I saw he went over and observed violations for some time and gave the guy a fist full of citations. g and f WM are spread thin and they use the reporting system to make lots of cases, if you have video and have boat numbers I would call it in, in most cases someone from g and f will call you back and they can make a case from there. We took pictures of some (tree huggers) disrupting a hunt years ago, actually they helped out but my buddy had a great long range zoom camera and snapped pictures including the vehicle and license plate and that info was given to game and fish and it actually helped in a case they were making against one of the individuals. Bob it might not go anywhere but when I see stupid people or people that should of read the rules and know them and think they can do what they want heck yes I report them. One problem is I have never seen a g and f boat on bartlett lake ever in all my years of fishing there :dontknow: If they had hooks on the lines and they were in the water and there were more than two poles out report it, even if they can not make a case the WM can have the info so if he/she is out on the lake or even up using binoculars above the lake and see the boat they can keep an eye on it, you would be surprised how many people get pinged thinking they can pull stuff because they don't see a patrol boat on the lake and the officer is up glassing the lake with good binoculars and just waits for them to come in or gets the patrol boat out. If I see patrol boats out on a lake and someone is being a complete idiot driving a boat whether fisherman or "lake lice" I will call the non-emergency number for sheriff etc. and report it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:37 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Peeps

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Knowing of this violation would bug me for months if I didn't turn them in.  We all need to protect our resources.

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I ,too, would turn him him. Matter of issue,violaters bred violaters---some intentionally, many out of ignorance. Undoubtedley, while bragging about their catch, they will discuss their methodology of rigging and the virus grows from there. Campin Nana and I see violaters all the time. We generally approach them, explain our position with The Crappie Assoc  and our committment to the G&F Philosophys. More times than not, we are "Thanked and appreciated" ( Nana has great presentation skills)
The bottom line----We have an obligation!!!!

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I ,too, would turn him him. Matter of issue,violaters bred violaters---some intentionally, many out of ignorance. Undoubtedley, while bragging about their catch, they will discuss their methodology of rigging and the virus grows from there. Campin Nana and I see violaters all the time. We generally approach them, explain our position with The Crappie Assoc  and our committment to the G&F Philosophys. More times than not, we are "Thanked and appreciated" ( Nana has great presentation skills)
The bottom line----We have an obligation!!!!
I think that's right on.  Do talk to them first and see what sort of response you get.  You might get a sincere acceptable response, or an a$$hole response and can decide from there what to do.  Nothing worse at least for me is the backyard neighbor who sent me a certified letter carbon copied to the HOA asking me to fix my backyard adjoining wall.  At least for the first contact, he could have just stopped by my house and we could have chatted, right?

Side note - I'm probably the last guy in this group who doesn't want more than 2 poles per person.  I've seen enough folks come in with coolers of crappie wondering if they left any in the lake for the rest of us.  I'd even prefer a 20 crappie max daily limit per person but you didn't hear me say that.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Good for you Bob, I support you 110%! ..........Art

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal