Author Topic: Hey New Guys  (Read 314009 times)

Offline ArZFisher

Re: Hey New Guys
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17 PM »
All I can remember is that he was an older gentleman and he drove a either dark blue or black 4dr new Chevy.

I wish I could say I caught all crappie from Alamo. I would be crappie king in my book. We found last year late march early April is best time to go. Last year we were catching crappie in January just a few but this year not 1 yet.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Hello to all. Name is Robert 28 lived here all my life in this wonderful state. I started fishing about 4 years ago. I got an old 15ft Starcraft. I just started crappie fishing about 2 years ago. This guy from club came in and and I saw sticker on back of his window az crappie. I started talking to fella and told him I can't catch of of those dang crappie to save my life. He asked me what I was using how I was using it and boy was I all wrong. He gave me a few pointers and the next month my my buddy and I went to Alamo( favorite lake ) and caught so many it was unreal. So now I am hooked I mean I really love to fish but those crappie just taste so Good.  But anyway just to say hello and you guys have built a real nice website. Can't wait for these little cold fronts to pass. It's on!!!!

Welcome to the board! I was like you when I started fishing for crappie about 7 years ago (Pre AZCA) and went to Bartlett a hand full of times and never had a bite. I started to talk to a few of the crappie guys on The Zone and FINALLY got into a crappie bite and loved it. I pretty much quit bass fishing and stuck to nothing but crappie. Boat has been trouble for the last year and I haven't been able to go fishing in over a year. Last time I went crappie fishing was almost a year and a half ago!

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Phreek, you can go with me anytime. Mines all fixed up now , even new carpet. Need to get some blood on it soon! :dance: :dance:

Offline kicked back

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 09:28 AM »
 :sign0144:Arrived in Arizona back in July of 86' coming from Pismo Beach, Ca. wow was it hot here. I have adjusted and will be buried here cause I love this place. I'm 66 and semi retired, my wife is the big bread winner and about 9 years younger...that's how I planned it so I could get in some fishing time before she wants to stop working and she keeps bringing up how close it's getting!!!YIKES I never fished until my arrival here and my neighbor got me "hooked" so I joined a few clubs and fished a lot of tourneys and woke up one day and said " Doog, you can't fish good enough to make money, stop it" so I'm happy now with my 14' aluminum and 25hp. I still load up 6-7 rods and get out on the water then tell my self "dummy' habits are hard to break. That's why I want to fish for crappie and need to learn a bunch. I like the whole idea of slow trolling and a couple of rigs and a lot less stuff.
If anyone out there is off on Mondays,Tuesdays,Wednesdays and wants another boater please let me know.. Doog :notworthy:
" Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid"

Offline freshwater

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Saw a lund boat Alaska trailer parked in Vucan storage with an AZCA sticker on the right side of boat. just curious who. Sp101

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 04:40 PM »
dont forget the spring crappi fest guys. great time for all. campin fishin eatin hangin by hte the campfire. yall come ya here.

Offline Yukonleft

Another New Guy
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 02:18 PM »
Hey fellers-

Name's Joel.  Born and raised in Tucson.  Just moved up to Chandler with the family in October '12.  I have been a Crappie hunter since I was about 3 or 4.

My Grandparents, mother, and two aunts moved out here from Tennessee in '62.  My Grandpa is a retired miner, and got two weeks off every year he was working here.  He spent the first week by himself at Roosevelt, then the grand kids would come up and camp for a week over spring break.  These are some of the best memories of my childhood.

This was back in the very early 80s through about 92...every year.  We camped on the shore near Grapevine, with the boat pulled snug up against a rubber mat with two pieces of tire to keep the bow from scraping too much.  The road in was dirt and steep.  The "Spring Creek Store run" was the highlight of the week as it usually only happened once or maybe twice during our stay.  We got the exact same space every time we came for about 7 years in a row.  We saw the same people each year, and I played with the same kids.

The Crappie fishing varied from "pretty dang good" to down right tiring.  My Grandpa ran two shifts per day.  One AM and one PM after lunch.  We never had anything bigger than a 16' Bass Tracker (which seemed gigantic to me), and we had 10-12 people there at any given time, so a schedule was necessary.  With sometimes 6 of us in the boat...and water approaching the gunnels, we had many 50 fish days, and a couple of 200 fish weeks.  We fished minnows under bobbers almost exclusively.  A Zebco 404 and later a Zebco 1020...small, red and white plastic bobber...smallest minnow you could get out of the wire-reinforced styrofoam minnow bucket.  When the fish were in the brush, my Grandpa would occasionally get out the "fly pole" (crappie pole) and let us dip minnows in the little holes in the brush.  We'd come back with a basket full of Crappie...greeted with a fried bologna sandwich and a cold RC or grape soda (Shasta).  There were a few times when we kids would opt not to fish because we were tired of catching so many.  We would get that knowing smile from our Grandpa as he said, "Well,....okay..."  ...his way of saying, "You're an idiot..."

Leaving at dark and cold....motoring up to Windy Hill or "Sally Mae" with two homemade biscuits and sausage stuffed in my sweatshirt pockets...the hood of which is cinched at my chin to protect my ears from the morning wind...that feeling when the motor slows and quites, and finally shuts off...the two big waves of your own boat's wake catch up to you and push you just a bit closer to your cove...and the smell of the two-stroke exhaust...that is still the stuff of magic and butterflies in my stomach. 

I'm grown now...almost 36 years old with two kids of my own.  I don't get to fish as often as I'd like, but the magic remains.  I still see it in the faces of my son and daughter as they wrestle in a trout or small catfish.  I see it in the honest excitement in their eyes when I tell them that we're going fishing.  I realize now why my Grandpa put up with all the trouble of taking a bunch of kids and their moms...and sometimes dads... out in a little boat...having to rig everyone...cast some of our lines...untangle all of our lines...get the fish off...rebait some of us...watch the depth finder...mind the wind...mind the rocks...mind the rods...mind the hooks...take us to shore because we forgot to pee...

It's worth it...even just to catch a little glimpse of that magic.

That...and he had already been fishing and camping for a week by himself  :D

I don't know that I have a favorite lake.  Rosey has most of my memories...and Silverbell.  I like Apache as well, and the San Carlos Lake of days long passed.

I fish from a canoe these days.  I have an ugly boat, but I'm selling her as I have no room to store her, and no vehicle with which to pull her. 

Glad to be here.

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Sir, when you wrote that story I bet you did not expect to make the hair stand up on your readers arms and give chicken skin (what my daughter used to call goose bumps) but believe you me it did exactly that to me. Welcome aboard I look forward to meeting another great story teller not just a fisherman telling tall tales as we all do time from time.

Piscolli

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Sir, when you wrote that story I bet you did not expect to make the hair stand up on your readers arms and give chicken skin (what my daughter used to call goose bumps) but believe you me it did exactly that to me. Welcome aboard I look forward to meeting another great story teller not just a fisherman telling tall tales as we all do time from time.

+1000! Great story Yukon! You should write for an outdoor mag, or last least blog on our site. I feel think I have to meet you now and get to know you better. I hope you consider joining the AZCA as your thoughts and memories of OUR beloved sport are extremely refreshing.

Join us at Spring Crappie-Fest 2013 and you will meet countless folks that have stories just like yours.   

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Ditto on the shivers. And now you will make memories for your kids that will be told to others years from now. Way to pass it on.  Thanks for sharing.
GOD BLESS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal