Author Topic: Hey New Guys  (Read 313922 times)

Offline Papermouth

Re: Hey New Guys
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Welcome TJ! Glad to see you made it here. I think you'll find a great group of guys and wealth of information both here on the site but even more so at our big event in April. Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way, hope you can make it to SCF!   :thumbsup:
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Welcome aboard TJ. You can learn a lot from this group of people and as with everything else what was old is new again sooner or later so be sure and share your past experience too. Come along for a wild ride at SCF and meet the group.
GOD BLESS

Offline ejcrist

« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2017, 03:39 PM »
My name's Gene. I'm originally from MD/PA and have lived here in the valley since 2007. I'm mostly a fly fisherman but I'll gladly use spinning or bait fishing gear if I need to get down below about 15' or so - not practical with a fly line even if it is sinking line. Me and my wife love fishing of all kinds and have a bass boat due in soon. I'm working on the storage house (boat-port) in the yard now to keep the sun off of it. The only lake I fished around here is Saguaro a couple of years ago in April from my kick boat but it was so crowded I didn't expect to catch anything - good thing too because we didn't. With the regular boat coming soon I'm figuring on hitting Roosevelt, Apache, Havasu, Alamo, and maybe Powell if we have a couple of days off. I live right next to Pleasant but it's packed to the gills every time we've been over there. Does it lighten up a little in the fall/winter/spring? I hope it does but for now I'm not considering it a high priority due to the crowds. I miss fishing from a boat and hope to get out a lot this fall. Crappie and Bluegill have been my favorite eating fish since as early as I can remember. 
"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Junius P. Long

Offline sandman

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Welcome Gene. Lots of good places to fish around here. Pleasant can be a good lake but to avoid the crowds, you have to be there really early or really late.

Too hot for me to fish this time of year but better weather is coming soon.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2017, 07:18 AM »
If you want to fish pleasant go on weekdays early and get off lake by 10am of so, not bad for "lake lice" but starts to get busier after 10am but not like weekends, that place is scary on weekends.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline ejcrist

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Thanks fella's. Yeah I figured during the week would be a lot better. Like you said Fishless, it certainly is scary over there on the weekends. The other week when we drove by to take a look there was a long line of boats waiting to use the pier coming in and another line waiting to go out, and on top all of that a storm was coming down from the north w/lightning. I didn't know there were so many boats in all of Phoenix. I figured there'd be more than one pier at the 10-boat launch ramp; don't know what happened to the second pier. Maybe it was damaged in that last big storm that swept through there. 
"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Junius P. Long

Offline ejcrist

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Hey, let me ask you guys a question. Out of the big lakes in AZ (big = can use boat with > 10 HP engine), what would you consider to be the best Crappie lake(s)? The only place I ever caught Crappie here in this state was in the Payson City Lakes from a kick boat but of course those lakes are tiny. Funny thing was I tied on a Crappie jig I tied while trying to entice the stocked fish and the only thing I caught was smallish size Crappie. I guess they don't call it a Crappie jig for nothing. I'm trying to prep a game plan for when the Tracker boat comes in here in a couple of weeks and right now I'm planning to hit Roosevelt, Havasu, and I think Alamo first - not saying they have the most promise necessarily but they're big with what appears to be a lot of structure and I'm hoping not too crowded. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Hey, let me ask you guys a question. Out of the big lakes in AZ (big = can use boat with > 10 HP engine), what would you consider to be the best Crappie lake(s)?

IMO, San Carlos and Alamo are a toss up.  San Carlos was nearly drained a couple of years ago but the crappie have definitely come back. (You'll have to get a boat permit and licenses from the Rez which at times is like fishing it self).  Alamo never really took off this year due to a massive rise in the lake level in a short time early spring.

Roosevelt would be next on my list.

Hear good things about Bartlett but not lately.  They always seam to dump water into or drain water out of it when they should be spawning.

Offline ejcrist

« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Thanks Philbie. I'll check out San Carlos. I was looking at the Reservation's website but only saw a number to call. Maybe I'll take a ride over there this weekend.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2017, 06:16 PM »
you will also need a wildlife permit along with the boat and fishing permit, know their rules, you will be on a lake with no services etc. so you are on your own in a way, often times there may not be a boat on the lake so if you break down (interesting experience) there are stories of the locals being a problem at the lake but a vast majority of people have no issues. Carlos is a little bit cooler temp wise, Alamo is an oven this time of year an Roosevelt is quite hot temp wise this time of year. If you fish during the monsoon keep an eye out for storms at all of the lakes they can jump up and bite you in the butt quick.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal