Author Topic: Stained/ muddy water, are you scared?  (Read 7172 times)

Offline Piscolli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stained/ muddy water, are you scared?
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:27 PM »
There's been some talk lately about muddy water and that could be a bad thing.

Asked yourself this question: where in AZ have you caught the most Crappie in a day and where have you caught some of the biggest Crappie? If you fish all AZ Crappie lakes I'd bet your answer is San Carlos. You know, that lake that leaves a ring around your boat the take acetone to get rid of. That lake with 2" of visibility. The lake that leave a dirty grimy residue on your line. Yeap, good old dirty San Carlos.

Muddy water (once the Crappie get used to it) is a good thing. It warms quicker than clear water and keeps the fish from getting easily spooked from boats. My Dad used to tell me "if you can see the fish, the fish can see you". Wild Willie also schooled me in the ways of the mud line. I have caught Crappie in muddy water a foot below the surface and no more than 2 feet off the side of the boat. If you think about it, I bet you have too.

I love pretty, clean and clear water for being on the water, boating and swimming. But for fishing Crappie, I like it dirty!
Bill (Piscolli) Eveland
Arizona Crappie Association
Promote Protect

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
Re: Stained/ muddy water, are you scared?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:47 AM »
like it stained but not muddy, love sight fishing in the spring but yes stained/muddy water warms up quicker (if we can get rid of these 55 degree days with rain >:() we need the water but dang I am ready for stable weather and lakes going from muddy to stained. Have caught fish in muddy water but normally what I would call heavy stain instead of choclate milk :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Papermouth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28 AM »
I like the topic, and as I mentioned in my first post, I crappie fish Roosevelt. I have had tough days in some of my best spots on the lake, catch a couple singles, get a bump or two.. Then, I head back to old Salome and get into that South shoreline.. Depending on the wind, there is usually a distinct "edge" as I call it, where the muddy water from the falling banks hits the clear water of the cove. I have experienced numerous occasions trolling along the muddy side one pass and the clear side the next, coming to find the muddy side would almost always win..
I can speculate that the fish were on both sides, but the muddy water side seemed to be either A) the ambush zone or B) an area with fish less disturbed from the boat..
Just my .02!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline azbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:06 PM »
I think light penetration has a lot to do with activity levels. Most fish will prefer low light to bright light, suspended particles in the water filter sunlight. The mud line becomes an edge similar to a weed line, ambush point for feeding fish.
Just my opinion......
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:57 PM »
after seeing Bartlett yesterday I am scared :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

fish spawning especially crappie need light penetration to activate the eggs so real muddy water will delay them often or they will spawn dang near up on dry land :o
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:00 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline BloodyDuck2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14 PM »
For those of us that use lights at night, How does the muddy water affect us?
My name is "Bill" and I'm a Fishing ADDICT

Offline SAM-RAI

• View Profile
    • SAM-RAI Racing
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I'm not sure about muddy water but I prefer it to be stained instead, with a least a foot of water clarity would be better. The crappie I believe, use sight to feed and therefore, stained water would be more ideal condition. In muddy water, the bait would have to be right in front of their face for them to see it to hit the bait. In stained water, the bait can be a foot away and still be within target range for the crappie.

I've had the best catch rate at San Carlos in stained water. I've fish the area with muddy water and didn't catch as many from my experience.
The awaken soul now helping humanity in the ascension process. Wake up, humans!
www.humancolony.org   /   www.girk-fit-niir.com

Offline Piscolli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 02:54 PM »
My 3 or 4 best days Crappie fishing was at San Carlos with 2 or 3' of vis.
Bill (Piscolli) Eveland
Arizona Crappie Association
Promote Protect

Offline SAM-RAI

• View Profile
    • SAM-RAI Racing
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46 PM »
My 3 or 4 best days Crappie fishing was at San Carlos with 2 or 3' of vis.

Bill - You're in the ball park as I mentioned in reference to stained water. The 2 - 3' of vis is more than 1 foot as stated in my early post.

Muddy water is when you can't even see your bait more than 3 - 6 inches of water so 2 - 3 feet would be consider stained water.
The awaken soul now helping humanity in the ascension process. Wake up, humans!
www.humancolony.org   /   www.girk-fit-niir.com