Author Topic: Choke Canyon Res, Texas  (Read 4095 times)

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
Choke Canyon Res, Texas
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:33 PM »
I have been surfing the Texas fishing sites and have seen that they are catching Crappie, from shore, at Choke Canyon Res just south of San Antonio where I am going through some pre-deployment training.  I borrowed a pole from my buddy and hit up Academy for some line, jig heads and bodies.  I'll be going out this Sat and Sun morning to try my best to get on some fish. This may be the last time I get to go fishing before I head out at the end of the month.   I'll let y'all know how I do and will try to post pics if I can.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
Re: Choke Canyon Res, Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Thanks Bob,  the pole I borrowed is not the best but it will do.

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:26 PM »
In Texas a cane pool is all you'll need

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Give em hell Macaroni!

Offline sandman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Grab a casting bobber and some plain white doll flies.  When working them from shore we use to kill hundreds a day by casting out as far as you could throw on the diagonal from shore with the doll fly 16 to 24 inches below the clear casting bobber and slow reeling it back.

You aren't missing any fishing here though Mack... It pretty much sucks hind tit lately.

That's how we did it. White or yellow jigs depending on the cloudcover.

wadefisherman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I us to catch a ton of crappie & white bass up the in the river at Choke about this time of year. Up by the 99 overpass bridge. We were in boats, so not sure about shore fishing.

Offline sandman

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Yes, even off the shore up past that overpass. Crappie until the first couple of weeks of March then trash cans full of white bass for another month.

For the white bas, we used what were called 'sandbass rigs'. A white jig and a yellow jig tied to a leader. It was often a slaughter!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal