Author Topic: Lowrance HDS5x  (Read 5056 times)

Offline ArZFisher

Lowrance HDS5x
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I really don't have a clue on how to properly set up fish finder.The unit is a (loweance HDS5x) it is 2.5 yrs old. I have googled YouTube etc... And I got some good info on it like I had no transducer set in settings etc...

Really I was wondering about sensitivity and colorline. Some video on you tube had a lil basic hers wait I do out of the box stuff. But he looked like he was back east. I mean I know their is fish cause I turn the fish icon and all over but no real archs?? Transducer not mounted correctly, settings thru finder ????? Can anyone help me

P.S. unit came with boat. I remounted and rerouted cables

Offline azbohunter

Re: Lowrance HDS5x
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:03 PM »
I highly recommend the learning CD's from Bruce "Doc" Sampson. I used to fish with him in tournaments 40 years ago when he "was" a doctor. He has made a reputation for himself as a pro fisherman but really as a sonar guru and his instructional stuff is impressive. This link will give you some insight....http://www.hightechfishing.com/lowrancetips.html
Your sonar unit is IMO, the most important piece of equipment you own, learning to use it properly is time consuming but well worth it!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Ea thx azbohunter. I could use all help I can get. I am going to check it out right now.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Hope you got a little help with that stuff, it is a challenge! Time on the water is a great help too!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Ya right now I'm a wait on DVDs. I found this other vid on u tube was great. He tells you how to properly install transducer not mount but in system. I look at settings for mine I had unknown transducer set. Their is a label on the transducer cable that tells you which transducer to input into finder. Lowrance book does not even tell you that. Also that I had my finder set in general use. In that mode it is trying to scan to 1500m. I saw that and said damn. Shallow water setting for up to 100ft. Also my transducer was a little off set as well.

Settings I am using :

Fishing mode : shallow water
Noise rejection : low
Surface clarity : low
Scroll speed : normal
Auto sensitivity : on
Color : between 72 -84
Ping speed 18 or 19
Frequency : 83khz it's a wider cone than 200khz( meant for shallower water)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Might try and change mine to have similar settings.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Well I must say wow what a difference for me. I did fine tune it a lil out their but just colorline. I found at high speed it does not do as well but unread some googled forums and they said having transducer mounted on metal boats will cause interference at high speed. Also your transducer needs to be mounted in such it has no turbulent water around it. The cavitation (lil bubbles) causes transducer not to work has well. It's amazing what a lil bit of tweak here and their will do to make your finder run better.   Also on lowerance make sure u have your transducer selected in settings. If you  find your transducer cable it has a lil silver tag on it. Their it will tell u transducer model. Then go to finder  tap Menu twice go in to Sonar click enter the scroll down to transducer type and select one from sticker. I got the HST-WSBL  83 kHz and 200 kHz.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal