Author Topic: Fish Survey - Bad News  (Read 9927 times)

Offline Tombstone King

Fish Survey - Bad News
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:37 PM »
I just talked to the San Carlos Game & Fish Wildlife Biologist.  She says they did a survey last week that included both gill netting and shocking.  All that turned up were shad, carp and channel catfish.  No bass, crappie or flatheads.  Not very many channels and not much size to them either.  She said there are no restocking plans for now because the lake is so low and could dry up again this summer.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Fish Survey - Bad News
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Wow, that's too bad.  Guess that's why we didn't catch anything!  Glad I got to fish that lake when I did.  Thanks for posting this.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:56 PM »
normally crappie don't shock up well and often times don't get caught in gill nets as we observed at bartlett, butttttttt since the deepest water is like 12' at san carlos that is probably accurate information as the gill nets hang down pretty deep and shocking gets fish several feet under the surface, wow a whole lake wiped out, that scares me about alamo if the corp of engineers decides to take the lake way way down to work on the bulk head at the dam.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline azjames

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Has anyone ever had any luck catching Crappie on Apache Lake? If so where? I fish there every June & July for Walleye & do well...just didn't know if it was any good for Crappie??
James

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:46 AM »
We saw a post on the zone a few weeks ago of someone catching bigger ones but I've never caught any there.  I fished there a couple days last week with minnows and only caught bass.  I did ask another guy and he gave the 'caught 3lb'rs' quote so perhaps there are some in there but I've never seen them.  Menrats may have info as he fishes that lake a lot.

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I've caught jumbo Crappie at Apache, no big numbers though.

Offline azjames

Apache Lake
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Do you know what spots are good at Apache Lake? I stopped in at the front desk
at Apache 3/16 Saturday & saw pics on the wall of 2-3lb crappie recently caught. One p has a pic of 6. If you know the spots where you had success let me know going to Apache this weekend.
Fished Rosie Saturday caught a 2lb buffalo shad & my friend caught 1 crappie & a 4.5lb bass. Saw only 8 fish on my locator all day & fished Grapevine to Windyhill to the dam the females have eggs & probably won't spawn until the water stops flowing in talked to a local at the resort who has been fising rosie for 30 yrs & was catching 8-10 a day til 2 wks ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal