Author Topic: Rosey 3/27/13  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Yukonleft

Rosey 3/27/13
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:53 PM »
On the water at 7AM with my brother, cousin, and Grandpa...just 4 bulls out for some slabs.  Put in at Windy Hill after a lengthy discussion about the advantages of starting in a known area (Salt end) and motoring elsewhere (Tonto end) if need be.

Went straight to Sally Mae...water temp. was 63*.  After a quick motor repair by my brother, my cousin hooked a 3.5# LMB on a minnow under a bobber about 5ft deep...thought we were really gonna slay them.  About 20 minutes later Zach again latched into one.  This one revealed herself to be a 2.75# crappie.  We trolled most of the flats and trees there, and for quite some time, but with no other strikes, Sally just wasn't in a gifting mood that morning.  Being gentlemen, we left before being asked to do so.

Motored east to either Armer Gulch or Schell Cove (old map), and proceeded with that painstakingly slow process of trolling again...minnows mostly.  Some on jig heads, some on aberdeens, different depths with seven lines (my cousin, Zach had neglected to purchase the two-pole).  No bites, no bobs.  After releasing what amounted to almost an entire tree from the trolling motor we made for the Tonto end.  Talked to a guy in that cove who had caught his limit in bass, but had not caught a crappie either.  Nice guy. 

A speedy, somewhat chilly boat ride brought us to Goose Flat.  The area was chosen by me after my grandpa gave me a nudge and pointed to the area.  We began the troll again.  It was somewhere between here and Methodist Cove that I picked up a small LMB.  We saw 5 or so boats up further towards Indian Point, and so headed slowly....slowly in that direction.  We made every pretense to look as if we knew what we were doing...not sure we pulled it off.  Nothing there at all.  The wind picked up a bit, and as it was getting late...we decided to hang it up.

After a short stop to stare at the bridge and guesses as to how far it is off the water, and whether one would die if one were to jump from that height, we found ourselves once again at Windy Hill.  As I headed for the ramp, my cousin Zach asked why we would be going in...when none of us were expected to be home at any set time.  Since he is the youngest, and the favorite...we gave in to his logic and motored to the east side of the Hill.  Passed by a couple of crappie trollers heading into the white cliffs over there.  Rounding Windy Point (water temp 65*) and heading into that cove where the Badger ramp is, my brother Eric caught a small LMB. 

We were just about done...about to hang it up...headed towards the ramp when my rig went under.  Crappie!  Male.  Zach's rod bent.  Crappie!  Still had my minnow on the bottom jig of my rig, so I tossed it over while I helped Zach and reached for another minnow...WHAM!  Crappie!  3 hits and three fish in about 45 seconds!  Flashbacks to the better days.  We combed that area again and again.  The idea was, after all for my grandpa to catch fish.  He hooked a good one soon after, and either Zach or Eric finished out with the last one...we weren't prepared to night fish, and I was so sick of running that bloody trolling motor I wanted to puke.

Six crappie all tallied.  5-6 feet deep.  Zach got his on a plain hook and minnow.  I had a 1/16oz jig with a minnow that worked for me and my Pawpaw. 

It was a great day!  Beautiful weather...not hot, not cold, very little wind.  Not as many fish as we had planned on, but better that a skunk or a sharp stick in the eye.  We are headed back in a coupla weeks to night fish. 

Thanks fellers, for your help and suggestions.  I really hope I can make it to the Fest...even if just for the meeting.

-Yukon

P.S.  Gonna post a few pics as soon as I resize them.

Offline Yukonleft

Re: Rosey 3/27/13
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Here goes pics from the trip.  Sorry that they are literally a week late.  I'll try to get better at it.

-Yukon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal