Author Topic: No wake and Slow wake difference??  (Read 10772 times)

Offline ArZFisher

No wake and Slow wake difference??
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:19 AM »
So some you know that this years for me is the first year that I can say I got a motor for my boat that can take me places never been before. Just a lil 10 hp but better than just my old trolling motor which said it was 40 lbs not compared to new minnkota edge I just got for a pretty good deal. So I have been cruzing all around Bart trying to find new spots to fish.

On my way up river just passed Echo cove before you get to the trees sticking up in middle of river their is a line of buoys couple say no wake others say slow wake what's the difference. So the same to me. I tried to look up but all I find is it says slow wake is idle speed and no wake well if you don't know that one should not be on water. I have not seen this slow wake any where else. Last week their was some dude just flying threw their and just want to know if I could go a lil quicker. I mean I don't get going that fast with my 10 hp and my custom 1960 starcraft 15 ft alumi( ill post some pics in a different topic later).  And also what about when you come to a buoys that say no markers from here on out basically can't remember. Is this travel at on risk including speed or still no wake??

If anyone could help would appreciate it. Just a lil confusing especially when I can't just look up and it will tell me the boaters guide nothing, google I found stuff for out of state. ????????

Offline AZfisherdude

Re: No wake and Slow wake difference??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:46 PM »
I'm not sure you can create much of a wake with a10 hp dude. Never heard of a slow wake. I'd treat it as a no wake. The coupon isn't cheap if you get one. It's too bad they don't hand out more of them IMO. It's nice ot have a place where you don't have to worry about that.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11 PM »
As Bob M. says any white rolling of water whether at 3mph or 10mph is considered above the wake speed (and remember you are responsible for your boats operation even out on open water) lots of problems with the idiot wake board boats that fly by somebody with their bladders full and put out a huge wake and who is fishing slowly almost capsizing boats etc. I also have never seen a slow wake marker at Bartlett or anywhere else the first line of buoys say no wake and the second line of buoys up lake farther say (no hazards marked beyond this point? at Bartlett

Maybe when they were reconditioning the buoys they order the wrong stickers? and I have seen idiots putting all sorts of stickers on the buoys at pleasant and Bartlett.

better to error on the side of caution and yes many people and many are fisherman blow by the no wakes up river at Bartlett and humbug, Cole's coves at pleasant and the river there.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sandman

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Did it possibly say 'SLOW NO WAKE'?

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:23 PM »
A wake is considered to be visible whitewater in the eyes of the law and your 10 hp can certainly make that.  Where exactly was this marker, I would like to see it?

Ya I think it's funny just cause someone has a small motor it does not make a wake. For one its not your motor that makes your wake its how your motor is setup on your boat. I can make real big wake if I trim the ass end down. Or a lil wake. I was reading this other forum when I google this topic and people were saying my boat does not make a wake at 60mph so why do I need to slow down for no wake zone. One word comes to mind Idiot.

The  buoys I was saw were the ones just north of Echo cove before the trees up river. Their is 4 of them that go across river. Next time I'm up their ill snap a pic.

Offline kicked back

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06 AM »
If you read the "LAW" it says "a speed that does not cause a wake, but in no case in excess of 5 miles per hour"(A.R.S. 5-343) if you know what a wake is and you turn around and you see one then your breaking the law! Plus if you don't see one and you are traveling faster than 5 mph then your breaking the law. It is not hard to make a wake but it has nothing to do with a "white cap".Sorry :'( I'll bet we have all seen a boat make a wake that is huge and did not show any white caps...like a big slow roller off the back of a real big cabin cruiser.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:11 AM by kicked back »
" Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid"

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:26 AM »
If you read the "LAW" it says "a speed that does not cause a wake, but in no case in excess of 5 miles per hour"(A.R.S. 5-343) if you know what a wake is and you turn around and you see one then your breaking the law! Plus if you don't see one and you are traveling faster than 5 mph then your breaking the law. It is not hard to make a wake but it has nothing to do with a "white cap".Sorry :'( I'll bet we have all seen a boat make a wake that is huge and did not show any white caps...like a big slow roller off the back of a real big cabin cruiser.

Thx everybody for info. I believe that buoy is an old one mixed in with new ones.
So how about this one say your going up river and see the buoys that say hazardous unmarked up river. So you have to still have no wake at that point or is it boat at own risk???

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Is this really going to help anyone be a better Crappie angler or are we going basszone here?

Try this link:
http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/boating_rules.shtml

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30 PM »
Is this really going to help anyone be a better Crappie angler or are we going basszone here?

Try this link:
http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/boating_rules.shtml

I don't go to basszone or whatever that is. Was just wondering. This year is first year that I have been able to cruze the lakes. Before just had 40lb trolling motor. Sry for the questions I wouldn't be asking if I knew. I'm not trying to break the laws out thier but any lil edge I can get ill take. I know what no wake is just never seen a slow no wake and that's not in the Regs. Also can't find in Regs where it talks about unmarked hazards from here on. I will call TNF or AZGFD and find out.   :98:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:35 PM by ArZFisher »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:59 AM »
actually think it is a good topic :angel: No wake or slow wake if one of the buoys says that is just what it means as discussed above. the no hazards marked buoys like at bartlett in the river or pleasant means from that point on nothing is going to me marked such as rock, reef or islands (you are on your own for safe navigation) as far as no wake areas I can only think of lake powell right off the top of my head where you will enter an area of no wake proceed and then come to another set of no wake buoys that would indicate you can then proceed at speed the second set of buoys would be for boats traveling the other direction. At places like bartlett and pleasant once you hit the no wakes you are to slow down the remainder of the movement up river etc. at bartlett when you hit the no hazards marked up stream just telling you look out but you must continue to proceed at no wake.

long trip into places like the river at bartlett, pleasant and coves like humbug etc. but it is for safety reasons. :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal