Author Topic: back from 4 days at Alamo  (Read 4080 times)

Offline azbohunter

back from 4 days at Alamo
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Spent 4 days at Alamo, would have to report we had slow fishing for crappie. I have to admit that I think we could have done better if some of the circumstances might have been different. My wife and I had a husband and wife team along that love to fish but just never seem to learn how, we have fished them at different times for 20 years and they really never seem to learn. The first day out we caught catfish and bass and no crappie. The second day we caught 7 crappie, 4 catfish and several bass. The third day 4 crappie, a couple bass and catfish.
Not sure what is happening at Alamo but these are my thoughts from what I found and talking to others.
Three weeks ago reportedly the fish were hot, up on beds etc: We caught our fish in 6 feet of water, all 11 crappie were larger males, very black, no females. Talked to others that had fish (up to 18 for a boat of 3 anglers) all were caught in 20 to 24 feet of water, all were females except 2. The eggs did not look like they were close. My thoughts are (1) either they started and then were forced out because of weather change and are not going to spawn this year or (2) the hot action 3 weeks ago was the first movement of fish and the majority of the fish have yet to move up.
I had water temps of 67 to 71 depending on time of day and wind. That was surface temps.
I am in no way an expert on Alamo and I don't claim to be an expert on Crappie but that is my observations and report.
Biggest Crappie was 15" but all were nice sized.
Hoping to see some improvement guys and gals!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:48 AM by azbohunter »
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline TRITOON

Re: back from 4 days at Alamo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Thanks for reporting your results. It has been an on and off bite at all the lakes and don't know what is up. Hope to hear some good reports from Roosevelt with the crew at SCF.    The first part of May has always been a good time for us at Alamo so I hope it is again this year.
GOD BLESS

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35 AM »
big turn out for SCF we got 3rd place, made a couple tactical errors and missed a big female early in the day. Was nice to have plenty of fish to filet for dinner which was outstanding.

Hope you guys didn't fish saturday with that 75boat bass-a-hole tournament up at alamo that had to be a zoo :o

alamo is weird this year 3 weeks ago the males were staging up still silver some black all over the lake and we had a great day bringing home 25 big fish and missing many, then we had that wind event the next weekend and cool temps I went back that tuesday and could not hardly find a crappie anywhere it was like the moved right back out even though the water temp had only dropped two degrees, I am thinking another spawn will happen this full moon coming up (hopefully)

thanks for the report
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:26 AM »

Hope you guys didn't fish saturday with that 75boat bass-a-hole tournament up at alamo that had to be a zoo

Nice thing about retirement, work on weekends (around the house) fish during the week. We were there Monday thru Friday leaving about 9AM. It was a nice mini vacation!
Good to hear you all caught enough for a great fish fry, hard to beat fresh crappie (unless you have fresh walleye) :D
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal