Author Topic: Saturday off the bank  (Read 3325 times)

Offline kique482

Saturday off the bank
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Hi Gang,

Myself along with my best friend and my dad hit the lake at 0530.  We started out fishing that steep rocky cove next to the vineyard picnic area.  Didn't get a bite but seen a ton of shade swimming around and  some bass shallow watching nests.  Also seen carp swimming around.  No Crappie.
So we headed towards Tonto creek and ended up parking off the side of the road and walking down a closed road to get to some water.  This was between Cholla and Vineyard if my memory is correct.  Here off the bank we got a bite and my buddies line broke as he was reeling it in.  It looked like a bass.  I threw my minnow out and nailed a 2 maybe 3 pound bass on my UL rod.  It was fun.  After no more bites I switched to a spinner that my uncle makes that I hadn't used and I nailed a nice yellow bass and two more largemouth.  No Crappie.
We moved to the salt end and settled on a little cove by the south facing ramp at windy hill.  I stayed with my spinner and nailed 3 more bass.  By this time it was between 1400 ad 1500 so we stayed there till we left at 1730.   
All we caught were the yellow bass and the 6 largemouth.  Not a crappie to be had.  I tried everything throwing my bait with a bobber 4 to 8 ft up adjusting it trying to find the spot.  It just wasn't mean to be.  Successful trip either was.  I just wish we had go into some crappie.  Any thoughts?

Also sorry I didn't make it to grapevine for the crappie fest.  By the time we got that way I was beat and thinking about the drive to Mammoth and San Manuel before making my drive home to Tucson.  Are there any other events planned?

Kique

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Saturday off the bank
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Also sorry I didn't make it to grapevine for the crappie fest.  By the time we got that way I was beat and thinking about the drive to Mammoth and San Manuel before making my drive home to Tucson.  Are there any other events planned?
The next open meeting is the Bob Hirsch Classic (BHC) in Oct and very similar format to the Spring Crappie Classic:
http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal