Author Topic: fuel filter?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
fuel filter?
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:37 AM »
since I listened to uze guys and put some fuel treatment in the unit for the first time since I owned the boat, 6 yrs. since then the engine has bogged down and killed three times. last time it took me pumping on the fuel line pump and waiting nervously a couple minutes before it relit and if my cranking battery wasn't tough I might have been asking someone for a tow at 200 at scf.
called john he says the cleaner cleaned up all the chit accumalted over six yrs and clogged the fuel filter. sounds right. with powel on the horizon the question is. is this a temp condition that will clear itself up or should I get it fixed and can an idiot replace a fuel filter or am I headed back to superstition marine. hell have to order the part so ill be off the water the weekend before powell ugh.

Offline Papermouth

Re: fuel filter?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:49 AM »
I don't think that will clear itself permanently.

I just went through a bunch of similar crap with mine, after a putting in fuel additive as you stated..

I had carbs rebuilt and I did a fuel filter "kit" that was very easy to install...
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I had the same issue with my 1980 50 HP Johnson. I was told I needed tuneup costing about $350.00. A friend of mine suggested trying Lucas fuel injector cleaner first. He didn't know the additive but it is the ONLY cleaner he found that actually works. I've been up and running just fine. Been out 6 times since the treatment. I also have an additive (StarTron fuel treatment) that neutralizes the ethanol in the gas. I brought mine from WI.,, don't know where to get it here. Good Luck!!
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:26 AM »
fuel filter on my rig is easy to change. need to a new one in myself

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal