Author Topic: Night Time Crappie Fishing  (Read 10532 times)

wadefisherman

Re: Night Time Crappie Fishing
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:20 AM »
+ 1 with the shad, it is a way superior bait. I also do very well working a jig around the lights when they r actively feeding.

Piscolli

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Sometimes when night fishing with a minnow under a bobber the Crappie will pick the bait up. So if your split shot is above the hook (where else would it be?) your bobber will never lay over or go down. Next time (I'm assuming your using a hook, shot, bobber rig) try using a 1/32 oz jig head instead of a hook and shot. that way if they pick the bait up, your bobber will lay over.

Wild Willie and Bob M have really cool rigs they use for situations like this. You might PM them. Sometimes the night bite can be so delicate, a lot of guys won't even know when they get hit.

Personally I like to swim a Slab Daddy jig at night right at the edge of the light. A 10 to 12' light rod is perfect for doing this. You can measure how much line to let out for different depths by using the rod as a measuring stick. And you can hold the jig just outside of the light without casting or having slack line.

But Fishless is right, sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Offline SAM-RAI

• SAM-RAI Racing
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Interesting info guys.

The way I fish at night for crappie, I usually fly-line the bait out with the lightest split shot weight possible so the minnow will fall slowly down as it swim. I just keep on releasing the line out or until it hit bottom depending on the depth range. If there's no take when the minnow hit bottom, I will reel up a few feet and let it sit or reel it up to the depth range where I think the fish are and wait.

This technique works exceptionally well in almost all condition when I fish with live baits day or night.
The awaken soul now helping humanity in the ascension process. Wake up, humans!
www.humancolony.org   /   www.girk-fit-niir.com

Offline 2nafish

• Rather be fishing
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 02:39 PM »
fishing can be tough this time of year.   Some of the things that work for me during night fishing is to anchor up in about 25 - 30 foot of water.  It takes a little bit of time for the bait to show up and pull the bigger fish to them as a result.    The bite is off and on  most of the night with out a moon.  Keep patient and they will come.   Fly-line minnows is an excellent way to catch the lots of fish.  Bass and crappie both.   Fish outside the light at different distances to find the right pattern.   If you have to put on a small spit shot, know it will sink, pulling down your minnow and eventually out of the strike zone.  But, I have done well with a couple cranks of the reel handle just to get the minnow off the bottom.
 I like the tonto arm more then the salt just as a matter of preference, but have done good and bad on both ends.    Crappie can be hard until you figure out the pattern, then its just a matter of applying the same pattern/style until they stop biting.

Keep the faith and fish hard while experimenting for good catches.   
Daytime,  I've been fishing between the dam and Batchlor cove on the steep banks for decent catches, not always big, but lots of fun.   

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31 AM »
I have had a lot of success using just a #8 hook with no snell, with a small splitshot a few feet from the hook.  After you get the fish under your boat, drop a minnow below the school and make your minnow rise towards the surface extreamly slowly!  Crank your reel as slow as you can stand it in a continuous motion with out stopping. This drives the crappie crazy and entises them to slowly follow the minnow up and gently put their mouth around it.  I've killed them using this technique.  Seems to work best over about 30' of water near areas that you found fish on the graph.  Usually the fish are hooked around 3 or 4' of water.   It doesn't always work, but when it does you will catch a ton!
Rocky

Offline Palo Verde

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 04:35 PM »
2naFish or any other:

"Fly-line minnows is an excellent way to catch the lots of fish.  Bass and crappie both.   Fish outside the light at different distances to find the right pattern.   "

What is: "Fly-line minnows"? 

Thanks   

Offline 2nafish

• Rather be fishing
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 01:52 PM »
2naFish or any other:

"Fly-line minnows is an excellent way to catch the lots of fish.  Bass and crappie both.   Fish outside the light at different distances to find the right pattern.   "

What is: "Fly-line minnows"? 

"Fly-Line" is a term used to identify a method of fishing.  Using light line, Fluorocarbon leader, and NO weight.  Choosing a minnow that is  "lively" (this is key) and allowing it to swim freely while pinned to a small shank hook (minimal intrusion).  It works well, I've stuck some nice fish that would not bite other presentations.  .  Just another presentation for your tool box.  Get the bait in the strike zone and it's deadly for catching semi-active fish. 

Offline Palo Verde

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38 PM »

thanks,

I have fished a number of different species with different baits that way --- but had never heard it called Fly Line -- guess I'm still learning  :D

Offline 2nafish

• Rather be fishing
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Its a Westcoast term. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal