Author Topic: 17 foot Bass Tracker Q  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Palo Verde

17 foot Bass Tracker Q
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:50 AM »
Figured there might be someone on this forum with personal experience:

Looking at boats to replace my old one

Wondering: Is the 17 Bass Tracker a "stable" boat, i.e. can two people move around in it without it getting tippy?
I guess there is both a V bottom and a Flat-ish bottom style
Thanks in advacnce
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:55 AM by Palo Verde »

Offline kicked back

Re: 17 foot Bass Tracker Q
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Several years ago we owned a 17' bass Tracker with a 60hp. We liked everything about it and even wished we still had it. It was "tippy" with 2 people standing on the same side. I don't know if that has been fixed since then but you would know it tipped quickly! Remember what the deep v is for and how a boat handles in rough water then compare the flat bottom. There are big trade offs. On Thursday of last week I fished Pleasant with a good friend in his 16' flat bottom and getting wet is "NORMAL" cause each and every wave breaks across the bow and...well you get the picture. I have a 14' semi deep v and it is much smaller than the 17' but the bow is great in choppy water. Hope this is some help. :dontknow:
" Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid"

Offline Palo Verde

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Thanks for the excellent information KB.

appreciate you taking the time

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 02:24 PM »
I :headbang: have a 2002 185xt tracker 60 hp merc 4 stk with a hull as you described ,it is not a flat bottom there is a pad and aslight rise in the bottom although not as distinct as a semi v. One of my buddies has a 16 ft tracker same basic boat . I only weight 175 and my fishing buddy 225 but it never exhibit any tippyness to me it is 87 inches wide at the gunnel. I have used it on Alamo. Canyon . Roosevelt even Pleasant in the wind . Sure it is not like my 21 ft walleye boat but dry enough I feel it is the perfect size boat for Az lakes ( wjth the exception of Lake Powell ) Mine is all welded, it steps up on plain  nicely on what we call a short chop up to 1.5s. I have pulled 4 grandkids on a large tube no problems  (20mph) I did change from a three blade prop to a 4 blade Mercury Nemesis same as Merc Spitfire that made a tremendous difference in low end performance better hole shot rough water handling with a slight increase in top end ( 13 inch pitch) You can fish two very comfortably from this boat ( I believe you are talking about a 175 ) three will work as well four not so good . my wife will not ride twice in a rough riding boat she really like the trackers smooth 35 mph max not so much the Tuffys 70 plus  go figure ??If you would like to ask any specific questions PM me I will give you my cell.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:13 PM »
CraigM has a nice boat....what he tells you is mark on.
I have a 16' Lund deep V with a 50 Merc tiller. After making some adjustments (thanks to Craig) I run 32 GPS speed. Personally I feel the deep V is a dryer ride and a little smoother (in rough water) but it also has more lean from one side to the other when walking around.
I fish the Columbia River quite a lot in the summer and I think my boat offers a better ride in that situation but that is a whole new ball game. Nothing you deal with here!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Palo Verde

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51 PM »

Thanks to all that took time to share their opinions and advise.

But, today, I bought a lightly used 17' ProCraft (looks like a Nitro if you have not previously heard of a ProCraft -- like me)
Seats 5 and Big enough to get the whole family on and seems pretty stable
Will get me up to the no-wake buoys at Bartlett so I can  then idle along at 5 mph for the rest of the day just like my 10' Jon Boat (actually, the Jonboat does 8.2 mph when I open'er up/flat out  ;D)

Probably more than we need but will do everything we want it to (except maybe catch fish  :laugh:)

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 05:36 AM »
Congratulations on your new Boat ,sounds like the boat for you .now get out and use it, enjoy it !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal