Author Topic: Live well home made questions??  (Read 4523 times)

Offline ArZFisher

Live well home made questions??
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:05 PM »
So when I was reading about ur guys SCF and noticed to fish it needed a live well for slabs. So my ole aluminum has not live well in it. That got me wondering why don't I make one. Went to Wally World bought a 800 gph pump,3/4 PVC pipe, fittings,etc... Put it all together it works great.

I have a couple questions thou. Question 1 Will this pass for a live well to fish in events ?
Question 2 do I need to run all the time with fish in it ? I mean last night took out and I forgot he battery for it at house. Lucky my boat has two blue tops in it so I rearranged something's and got everything to work. Well caught first fish put in live well turned on on left running for hrs. I then noticed my lights on boat going dim, finder shut off. What should I do? The only thing I can think of is maybe just running every 45 mins for 15 mins at time. Any thoughts??? Pics below

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Live well home made questions??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:28 PM »
First of all, a true livewell is not a requirement at our events.  With the bass guys, however, that's a different story......

Now for your livewell, a dedicated group 31 marine deep cycle battery coupled with a true livewell switch &/or timer should keep you running most of the night provided you adjust the timer to activate every 20-30 min or so, depending on the timer of course.  You might even be able to run your fishing lights off the same battery.

I'm not sure of your whole setup so maybe take a set back & look at your entire electrical needs and make improvements/changes from there.  My two cents....

LLL

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Live well home made questions??
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:58 AM »
depends on the time of year, in the cooler months I can turn on my large livewell and fill it and keep fish alive all day with little water added, when it gets warmer then of course you need to keep it aireated more often, it is best to pull fresh water out of a lake and over flow it back into the lake to keep the water cooler and aireated, if you just have a large cooler and fill it when you start catching fish I would think every 15-30 mins you could turn on the recirculating pump and make sure it sprays the water outward so it gains oxygen to keep the fish alive for the duration and adding ice to keep the water cooler helps. Lots of people in the hotter summer months just have a large ice chest with ice in it and when you catch a fish you just put them on ice immediately. When fishing for that (other fish) at lake pleasant I will fill the livewell slightly with water then a couple bags of ice and not use the livewell pump at all and put the fish in there as they do not survive in livewells long at all during the summer as they can not tolerate the warm water for long.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal