Author Topic: 5-5-13  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
5-5-13
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Haven't heard much from here lately so my dad an I made a day of it.  Didn't start out all that well when I show up at our meet spot 5 minutes late and he's not there.  Quick call at 3am and 10 minutes later we're rolling to the lake.

On the lake around 5:30, breezy, an hr later first crappie.  Over the next 5hrs after hitting a couple different spots all we had to show were 2 small cats and a 2nd crappie all caught by the old guy.  The wind died down, changed direction, picked back, died, repeat a couple times making fishing how we wanted difficult.

Finally at 11:30am he ties into his 3rd crappie and I'm skunked and thinking about heading home when it happeneds.  A bite!!!  Well dip me in honey and throw me too the lesbians!  Get it landed and my second pole goes.  We mark the location and start working.  Ended up with 9 landed and a couple that won the battle.

But the most enjoyable catch was tying into a 5lbish cat with a UL rod and real and 2lb test.  At one point the pole was wrapped in a nice bow and 3 eyelets deep in the water but held together.

With the exception of the first fish all were caught in 14-20ft of water at 6-12ft.  No idea what the water temp was.  No flotilla, all past the second set of bouys after the first catch.  No eggs. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:34 PM by Philbie »

Offline ArZFisher

Re: 5-5-13
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Nice. My buddy his son and I were out their too. We got skunked. Wel I got a lil 2 lb cat on my 10' pole again that was fun. Other than that no slabs we tried from shallow to deep all past bouy line. Didn't want what we were throwing. The wind was bad. Most the time I had the Kota on 5. We had a water temp when I looked at noon of 71. I'm glad to hear someone got some Alamo slabs.

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59 PM »
I was using a skirted jig in a variety of colors with a minnow trailer.  My dad was using a twister and minnow.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:25 PM »
We tried jigs tipped grubs everything I could think of. We were mostly on the I guess south side of the trees last bouy line. I saw a boat on the north side buy first bouys then left towards dock. We just couldn't find them. We tried all same spots as last year with no success. But with the lake dropping I think the slabs are freaking out or something. Maybe all the high winds past week had a effect dunno. My buddy's son is in from Indiana and I told him we grew some pretty big slabs here when you can find them. So we going hopefully to Bart on wedensday. I shied him pics and he said why didn't we go their today? Lol. I said Cause Alamo a nice lake and good fishing. He said well not today. Lol. I said That's why they call it fishing instead of catching. Thx philibe for info. It does sound like you guys were doing a lil something different than us. I had skirts but never put one on with minnow. Didn't know if their would be enough hook showing for hook ups. I guess I was wrong. Ill try that next time I'm out. Always like learning new fishing techs.

wadefisherman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:49 PM »
This is the worst year I can recall from Alamo numbers wise, nice to hear u picked up a few, good job!

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Couple pics.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Nice slabs. In that first pic  in upper right corner their is another boat. That could be us. Their was only two other trucks parked when we parked and only one had trailer. An older model black truck single cab I think. I was driving 08 Chevy tan with black cowl hood.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal