Author Topic: Un-Official AZCA Lake Powell Trip  (Read 8350 times)

Piscolli

Un-Official AZCA Lake Powell Trip
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:21 PM »
This is another example of how AZCA member are more than part of just a club, we are a family.

Last Saturday 12 to 15 member returned from a week at Lake Powell. Although the trip was not an official club meeting the turn out was great and I'd bet next year its even better. I could not go but believe me, I won't miss out next time.   

They rented several mobile homes at Hall's Crossing Marina, spending the days chasing walleye and other fish and in the evening had big group dinners. Crappie were first on the list (as always) but when you can't find them, catching a dozen or so walleye and smallies is a great time. The best part is that everyone caught fish and a great time.

We set up a "Lake Powell Trip" forum in our private clubhouse so that members could plan the trip and make the arrangements for a big AZCA family outing. It was also a great way for us jealous member that couldn't make it give them a hard time. The clubhouse forums are another benefit to being an AZCA member.

It is true that we filter posts to make sure they are about fishing for Crappie, because that's is what this site was created for. But even more than that, it was created for AZCA members. So I will let them tell you about the trip in their own words.

take it away fellas:   

Offline redmule

• Alamo Slabs...
    • View Profile
Re: Un-Official AZCA Lake Powell Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:42 PM »
We did look for Crappie, but just could not find them...  Couple of times we were at the fish cleaning station and someone would bring in one or two, and we cried...  These Crappie were all 2 1/2 to 3 lbs each..  I love my Walleye, but a chance at some of those slabs would have been great...   

Can't complain much, though...  12 people and around 280 Walleye is OK in my book...    :dance:

I think we all had a great time, and the food and friendship around the fire in the evenings was well worth the trip...  I hope we add a few more people next year...     :3some:

By the way, Bill, you owe Brian $20...  He schooled me again...  I might be gaining on him, but he still has my number...  Sorry I failed you, oh great one...      :crybaby2:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of
snakebite...  Furthermore always carry a small
snake.

Chris H

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58 PM »
OK Chris, you tried. I got double or nothing on you next year.  :banghead:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for post Bill!!

This was my 3rd year fishing Lake Powell at Hall's crossing - and was by far the best year!  And I'm saying that not only because the AZCA crew caught a whole lot of Walleye, it was the best year because of the group of the members went.  So here to all of you guys for making it a great trip!

We had 10 members & 2 guests fishing for 6 1/2 days in 5 boats.  Some boats went up lake while some went down lake spreading out to narrow our search for Walleye. 

In the planning phase it was originally thought that suppers would be up to individual boats.  But in true AZCA fashion, under Matt's leadership each nights supper became a group meal with members stepping forward to end their fishing day early to come in & cook an entire meal for the remainder of the crew.  Lets just say that we defiantly ate really well all week so thanks to all that went above & beyond to ensure our bellies were full of some good ole fashion home cooking!

At each nights supper, it gave the crew a chance to talk about their days fishing.  We shared techniques that were working along with sharing the hot spots each one of us found.  That lead to us sharing water and wasn't uncommon to see AZCA boats fishing the same areas.  It was truly a group effort that lead to everybody catching fish. 

So a big thanks goes out to everybody that went above & beyond to make this a great trip!  Until next year.......

LLL
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:17 PM by cousinlll »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:47 PM »
I thought trip was well planned.  It can be tough to do when not everyone is at the prior month's meeting and some stuff just needs to be done online.... like buying appropriate tackle.  Cousinlll started things off providing us links to the various sources for appropriate Powell fishing gear and prior attendees chipped in with advice on what to buy and ways to fish.  I'm not sure I would have caught anything without the up front advice on that prior to the trip.  Links later were provided to help me get the right fishing license, directions, share a trailer, carpool and boat with another AZCA member, etc. Everything was covered as people chipped in for the meal preparation every night.    I found this event was just like the monthly meetings where we all share tips and tricks as to what worked... or didn't work.  Looking forward to the upcoming meetings this summer!  Here are a few pictures from the trip for our group meals.

wadefisherman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:05 AM »
Gotta give a shout out to the folks at Halls Crossing as well. They gave us a free night with the trailers, that was $450 in our favor. I think they liked having us as well. I liked having poker as a back up plan on them windy days, good job Tom. It was a great trip and the crew really came together. I had some trailer light issues and everyone came together with advice, help and parts (thanks LLL for the fuses). The only thing that would have made the trip better is if some crappie was caught. I talked to one group of guys who went up to good hope bay, they had 3 slabs, all were caught on senkos. I learned how to fish senkos this trip and the 1st fish I caught on one was a walleye. Also learned the trick on catching eyes with jigs, what a blast. Great times for all, Chris is the vacuum packer king! I'll double down on next years trip.

Offline Crowbait

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51 AM »
it sure seems like a blast. There was no way i could pull this year off but definately will be thinking next year. Hopefully our boy Mac gets back from the desert safe and can join us as well.  I also am looking at possibly meeting Carl at Navajo lake. decisions, decisions.

great job guys and glad you all had a safe trip and fun.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Hopefully I'll be down for next year also.  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:27 AM »
great itd be good to have you iammac