Author Topic: Bartlett 6-2  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Papermouth

Re: Bartlett 6-2
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Most fishermen keep the extreme details to themselves, and in many cases, they should. The stuff that I like to share is the information that can lead someone to the water, metaphorically, whether they drink or not is up to them. But things like 60 feet of water fishing 8-12 feet deep, submersible lights were 6' down, jig tipped minnow, shit like that. Not exact locations or anything.

I haven't been crappie fishing in 4 weeks but the last few times I was at Roosevelt (most recently early May - I have fished Bartlett once in my life), I ran out of minnow on 2/3 occasions. The 2 successful nights, I had crappie hit the surface exactly as you mentioned. Originally thought they were LM, then possibly YB, then I had this big bastard crappie come right underneath the light before smacking the surface, so I enjoyed reading your details on that.
Also the light bite, my last experience at roosevelt the only fish that hit it hard with the YB, most crappie wouldn't pull the rod down, 9/10 times I caught because I would periodically lift up and bam, they was a crappie sucking down the minnow on the other end, can't forget that they feed upwards and don't have to go back down right away.
Your "switch it up" approach is key, I like to practice the same as you mentioned something worked then stopped etc.
You doing this well with submersible lights under a full moon isn't that common, just intriguing I guess.. Great job again, that must have been fun to fillet!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25 AM »
I'll be paying more attention in the future to the fish that are busting. One thing I noticed was that a lot of times they weren't coming clean out of the water. Just hitting the surface or barely coming out. Bass will frequently come out. Like I said, there were likely some bass out on the edges of the light or even further but the ones we saw up close in the lights were definitely crappie. Big ones too. That's why we started trying different stuff to see if we could get them to strike. It was crazy.
BTW, there wasn't that much of a moon as I recall. Some I guess. I use big lights too. Couple of 24" fluorescent lights. Sometimes I use the nuclieye too but we didn't on this go. The water was pretty murky but we ended up with a massive school of baitfish.

Filleting?  Yeah, that was fun. Especially after being up all night HA! I always wear a fillet glove 'cause I like my fingers.

I am heading to Apache this weekend. Initially I was going to do some crappie fishing at night and see what it is like since I caught a monster slab while bass fishing up there last year but I am set on crappie for a while so I'll probably only do it if my buddy I am going with wants some. I think it could be good up there. If we do I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32 AM »
It sounded like a folk tale at the time but old lady in tonto basin selling minnows said some people reported catching some very large crappie (supposedly 4 pounders) in Apache in April. She said she saw pictures too, good luck!

BTW, there wasn't that much of a moon as I recall.

My apologies, I was looking at the wrong date, moon was on the last quarter and a great time for night lights..
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

wadefisherman

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 04:15 AM »
Sweet!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal