Author Topic: Humminbird 597hd ci di  (Read 3509 times)

Offline hydrospec2001

Humminbird 597hd ci di
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Just curious if anybody is pretty knowledgeable on this fish finder. I know it has great features but could use a tutorial. I recently bought one and I'm cluless. Maybe too hi-tech for me!

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
Re: Humminbird 597hd ci di
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Humminbird has lots of clips on youtube. I have an 1198 and am still learning. I just learned last night that if I set the bottom limit,, at the max lake depth,, more power will be used to "see" in the upper range.
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:47 PM »
I have the 597, regret buying it. The graph works great except it will not work with the maximizer system on minnkota troll motors if you use the transducer that comes with it (do not mount it on the troll motor) graph will go crazy and like on the terrova if you use the built in transducer it will only work on the 200 MHz imaging and down scan will not work (and it does not work well even that way) I worked with minn kota for over a month trying to solve the problem, humminbird who used to have great customer service basically said good luck with your problem and didn't want to deal with it. I ended up building a bracket separate to put the 597 transducer down in the water then it works great. They are a little complex to use just play with the settings and read the manual (which for some reason jumps around as far as setting for different parts and features on the graph) if frustrated you can always go back to factory default settings. Looking at you tube videos and the simulator on the graph does help. Just take your time when you are out on the lake and play with the settings.

good luck
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53 PM »
All I can say is don't give up. It took me a long time maybe three years of tinkering with my lowrance to really figure it out. Like Fishless said don't be afraid to play with settings. If gets too bad you can always reset whole finder back to factory specs. These newer units come set from factory pretty damn good. With that said their is always room for improvement and that's where the hrs of playing with settings on water. I think personally that is 50/50 on transducer mount, and settings. Even the smallest detail missed on trans mount and you your finder useless no matter what settings you choose. Make sure is level with you boat in both directions. Also when your moving if a lot of bubbles are froming around trans can cause interference. It's little things like this people forget. Here are settings I use for my lowHds5x might help I mean two different systems but have lot of same feature in settings. Also I don't have down scan system yet!! I can add. Still should be same kinda settings.
Settings :
Sensitivity usually auto or turned up to 3%
Colorline : between 65-75
Range : auto  ( I like to see the bottom )
Freq : 200 most time it's a wider cone,85 is a narrower cone and zoomed in best way to put it
Ping speed: 19
Noise rej : low
Surface clarity : low
Scroll speed : normal
Fishing mode : shallow water

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:17 AM »

This is not a transducer issue but it may help in the future. I had lots of issues with interference with my 24v Terova. Humminbird sent me a filter (ring) that I wrapped my transducer cable around,, it worked. When I set the 1198 up on my boat back here in WI I had the batteries checked first. The guy at the battery shop told me to keep the trolling motor completely separate from your locater. Run ALL systems on a separate battery. He has had LOTS of issues with all brands of locators.
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline hydrospec2001

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies!
I plan to head out Thursday evening so I'll mess around with it some. I have a transducer on the trolling motor and one on the stern. I have heard alot of guys having trolling motor interference so I'll have to check on that. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal