Author Topic: New proposed bag limit for Bart and Rosey  (Read 122254 times)

Offline ArZFisher

New proposed bag limit for Bart and Rosey
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Just read on AZGFD that they are going to have some meetings talking about reducing the the unlimited bag limit from Bart and Rosey to a 15 limit per day. I know I have heard in past on this site that some people should like to see this happen. I mean if the lakes were so full of slabs that they were starting to take over then ok then I could see a unlimited # on catch. I have not heard of that any where hear. Out of Bartlett this year I think I have caught 2 dinks total this year. Now is this a good sign or bad?? I would like to see this proposal for the 15 bag limit per day happen. It should make for better fishing and better numbers. Here is link to AZGFD website. They got a article on it. http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Arizona-Game-and-Fish-Department-proposes-new-fishing-regulations.shtml

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: New proposed bag limit for Bart and Rosey
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I think it is a great idea and long overdue for bartlett, wish they would of included alamo but that regions fisheries person didn't get on board which is a shame, alamo gets beat up worse than most of the lakes due to being so small now and the incredible number of snow birds that camp there all winter and spring (for free) off the state parks land. Sure would reduce the crappie rapist that exist in this world. What could g and f due about illegal stocking of gizzard shad in roosevelt :dontknow: lake pleasant would be nice to be on the list but that crappie population is being tore up by the stripers so they will have to fend for themselves unless someone figures away to reduce that population, and after the spawn the stripers had last year with no runoff no nutrients in the water the number of 12" stripers this year is staggering.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Thank you for posting this.

There is lots of proof that "over fishing" has no negative impact on healthy populations of Crappie. Golden algae, land locked stripers that eat everything and thread-fins competing with gizzards will.

Catch rates for most are down so a bag limit that is more than we catch away is pointless. San Carlos had a 25 a day limit yet it was allowed (no fault of Game and Fish mind you) to go dry. The bag limit means nothing if the "real problems" aren't dealt with.

We (The AZCA) puts a 10" minimum length limit on all Crappie at our events and many of us practice this all the time. This is even more proof that sportsmen are the true protectors of the resource.

I hope to make this meeting.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:50 PM by Piscolli »

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:50 PM »
The biggest problem at Bartlett is SRP dropping the lake in the spring.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:53 PM »
I just got back from Minnesota.  We caught lots of crappie in one lake, day after day.  Their lakes are full of them and they have 10,000 lakes.  They enforce limits because they know fishing pressure affects fish population.  There must be something to it. 

Offline malex81

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Thank you for posting this.

There is lots of proof that "over fishing" has no negative impact on healthy populations of Crappie. Golden algae, land locked stripers that eat everything and thread-fins competing with gizzards will.

Catch rates for most are down so a bag limit that is more than we catch away is pointless. San Carlos had a 25 a day limit yet it was allowed (no fault of Game and Fish mind you) to go dry. The bag limit means nothing if the "real problems" aren't dealt with.

We (The AZCA) puts a 10" minimum length limit on all Crappie at our events and many of us practice this all the time. This is even more proof that sportsmen are the true protectors of the resource.

I hope to make this meeting.

I agree100%

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 04:39 AM »
The biggest problem at Bartlett is SRP dropping the lake in the spring.

g and f is hoping to start working with SRP on some of these issues

g and f is seeing the results of raping of crappie at some of the lakes, especially since it has become a 12 month a year fishing season unlike not to many years ago when it was a spring time event and then if a person wanted to set up lights at night, increase population more fishing hours devoted to taking and other issues, glad they are finally taking notice and planning on doing something, I plan to be at all the meetings down here in the valley.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:09 AM »
I would like to see this a state wide limit, not just Bartlett and Rosey! 

My only son is getting married July 15th or I would SOOO make that meeting but I will make the drives to some of the others as I can.  The published consideration is without consideration of the other choices as written.  How about a minimal size limit and no fishing during the spawn statewide as many eastern crappie lakes have done for years?  At least that makes some kind of sense.  Of course you would then also need to do some kind of patrols which I never see unless up north at a trout pond.
Why the sudden caring for crappie by AZGFD?  I have never seen it before, have any of you?

Congrats Bob!  Give him my best wishes and let me know where he is registered!

Offline sandman

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:37 AM »
I would like to see the science behind the proposal.

Offline Crowbait

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Sandman, it is not a science as much as it is a theory. G and F deal with a ton of issues about stuff. The biggest theory that drives them is "money". If we regulate the lakes better(which could be done but cost money), then more people will catch variety which in turn creates more interest and more money.

I personally would like to see the a limit. Had no problems with 25 at SC.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal