Author Topic: New proposed bag limit for Bart and Rosey  (Read 122257 times)

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: New proposed bag limit for Bart and Rosey
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Hell I would just like to catch 10 crappie every time I go out. So you all need to start throwing back all your fish so I will have something to catch. I release 99.9% of the fish I catch and in the last few years catching has been real slow

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Lots of very good points have been made. I think it would be wise to limit the catch state wide. I also understand why they don't have a limit in stripers in pleasant right. Their are so many under sized fish fighting for bait pretty soon we will have all dink stripers. But that's another topic.

I mean really we need more than 15 slabs at a time. That's a lot of fish. And are they doing it like dove or quail where you can posses limit is 15 a day, with a 30 possession limiting??
I think that would be great and still a lot of fish.

Like FishHawk said I release more fish than I keep. I am not a real big fish eater but I do like crappie more than any other fish. I really just like the whole line pulling and good times on water. Lately I just can't get enough of slab catching thou. Also like hawk said I would be happy with 10 very time I went out. Glad to see everyone's opinions.

No problem on the post Piscolli. I figured it might generate a lil buzz for site since it been dead here lately

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 08:46 PM »
The proposal is 15 per fisherman, which means if there are 2 anglers in your boat that's 30 crappie and 45 if there are 3 anglers. As far as Roosevelt, I don't remember the last time I had a 30 crappie day and that's a darn shame! ..........Art 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 06:50 AM »
I would like to see this a state wide limit, not just Bartlett and Rosey! 

agree with this, don't know why Alamo wasn't included.

as far as crappie spawn this year at Bartlett it may not have been very good due to SRP :dontknow: :banghead: the first group of crappie moved up shallow to spawn (real shallow) as they always do to find the warmest water and due to our goofy spring that took a while, SRP brought Bartlett up to 100% and right in the middle of that group up they shut off flows from horse shoe lake and droppeed Bartlett down 7-8' for some reason with water still in horseshoe and Verde flows stable :banghead: SRP did that 3 time this spring the worse was right at the full moon phase when the biggest group of crappie made their move up so they spawn a little deeper but SRP dropped the lake a bunch :crybaby2: not all crappie follow the rules and spawn on full moons but SRP could not of timed a worse drop in lake levels at Bartlett than they did this year. On the other hand Roosevelt probably had a fantastic spawn as that lake went up real slow and actually was stable for months and the crappie were up playing all spring. Actuallly g and f did quite a bit of creel surveys at bartlett and looked at their fish survey results from their past years etc. and the new fisheries boss Chris Cantrell actually seems to care about improving our warm water fisheries.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:53 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Plus with San Carlos being nonexistant that will push all the Crappie guys to the other lakes.  So this might not be a bad idea for the forseable future. 

Piscolli

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I would like to see the science behind the proposal.

You won't because there is none. Bad catch rates being reported is it.

Offline sandman

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 05:28 AM »

Exactly.

These kinds of knee-jerk reactions often have the reverse effect. I saw good bass lakes destroyed by limits/restrictions that were imposed due to 'poor catch rates', not based on biologist recommendations. I also saw small lakes start producing wall-hangers after science-based adjustments were made.

It seems like our state is lacking on experienced fish/game biologists. If so, it would be nice to have some real experts come in, assess the situation, and make recommendations.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Exactly.

These kinds of knee-jerk reactions often have the reverse effect. I saw good bass lakes destroyed by limits/restrictions that were imposed due to 'poor catch rates', not based on biologist recommendations. I also saw small lakes start producing wall-hangers after science-based adjustments were made.

It seems like our state is lacking on experienced fish/game biologists. If so, it would be nice to have some real experts come in, assess the situation, and make recommendations.

Kelley,

I doubt it is going to happen but if AZ G&F  were to impose a limit/size restirction for say 5 years and then lift it I think that it would greatly benefit the Crappie populations at our lakes.  Another thing that it would take is STABLE waterlevels during the spawn so I think that it is more than bad catch rates.  I am not sure what the answer is but it seems that the population is dwindling and less and less Crappie are being caught at EVERY lake in the state.  It seems that anytime I go out now if I catch 20 fish it is a GREAT trip where as just 3-4 years ago 20 fish would be a sub average trip.  I doubt the Crappie have gotten smarter in the last 3-4 years and I HIGHLY doubt that it is the lack of my fishing skills!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:23 PM by IAMMAC »

Offline sandman

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 05:33 AM »
I think they should set the limit to 6 or 7 so I could occasionally limit out  :lol_hitting:

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 02:46 PM »
What good is a limit really if they dont enforce the ones we have now. I mean look at Bartlett. I have been going their a lot this year and will see seriff boat once in morning and once at night. I now seriff has nothing to do with bag limits and licenses etc... I have never seen a g&f officer on water. I'm not saying they don't make their rounds but all trips I have ever maid I have been stopped well once mind you that was not in boat was at rattle snake fishing lil dock area before I had boat. I personally think this wont make a difference if their is not more g&f officers enforcing these rules and regs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal