Author Topic: Batteries - Best Brands and Stores That Sell Them  (Read 15032 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Batteries - Best Brands and Stores That Sell Them
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Got the Marine Maxx DC29 and took two stores to find them. Wish Wal-Mart had someone in charge of stocking things properly.  Didn't get a starter as autozone says my starter Optima is o.k.   Would feel better with nice new one I know history of but will stick with this one until I hear it starting slow.  I need a real battery tester that puts a load on the battery to see if it can handle it.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:38 AM »
Matt, I had a red top in my other boat for the 6 years I had it. Never failed me once, but I didn't have much drawing off of it like I will in the new boat. I had 2 simple fish finders, and never fished at night in it using nav lights, ect... I'm pretty sure when you took it in they put a load on it and checked the cranking amps. Usually you can get a printout of the results.
BTW, had the same problem with those same batteries about a month ago. Had to go to 3 stores to find them.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 07:49 AM »
only thing about walmart batteries is they dropped their warranty down from 5 years to 2 years and pro rated after just the one year if I remember right. Those optimas are great batteries but boy they weigh a ton! good luck
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Those optimas are great batteries but boy they weigh a ton! good luck

If you go and check the specs between a optima and a ever start you will find that the optima's weigh less. The optima(bluetop) depending on which one you get weighs 46 lbs. Ever starts from walmart 61 lbs. those numbers I tripled checked. Also another great things about a optima is totally sealed. No filling no spilling no hassle kinda batteries.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49 AM »

If you go and check the specs between a optima and a ever start you will find that the optima's weigh less. The optima(bluetop) depending on which one you get weighs 46 lbs. Ever starts from walmart 61 lbs. those numbers I tripled checked. Also another great things about a optima is totally sealed. No filling no spilling no hassle kinda batteries.

interesting didn't realize that :o, thanks

you been chasing the crappie at night at bartlett at all?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Matt, I had a red top in my other boat for the 6 years I had it. Never failed me once, but I didn't have much drawing off of it like I will in the new boat. I had 2 simple fish finders, and never fished at night in it using nav lights, ect... I'm pretty sure when you took it in they put a load on it and checked the cranking amps. Usually you can get a printout of the results.
BTW, had the same problem with those same batteries about a month ago. Had to go to 3 stores to find them.
Autozone said the red top Optima is fine under a load.... but he said it needed a charge.  Huh, I just charged it for a day and my charger (Battery Tender) said it was fully charged.  :icon_scratch:  I plan to get a group 29 or 31 starter once the Optima dies.  Just wish I didn't have to wait until I'm out on the lake to find out the Optima can't start my boat.  I'm guessing it'll start at the dock and then not when in the middle of the lake.  Could get backup battery just to run as electronics and graduate to be starter once Optima dies but seems excessive to have 4 batteries in the boat.  Looking at the Mercury website for my 125hp 2-stroke, it says I only need 525MCA or 450CCA.  Way lower than I expected - those Optimax's require double that:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/faqs/outboards/?category=electrical

It appears as though my trolling motor Marine Maxx 29DC can handle that if I need a jump on the lake.

Piscolli

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 08:11 AM »
two words: blue top

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 08:47 AM »

interesting didn't realize that :o, thanks

you been chasing the crappie at night at bartlett at all?

No I have not been out in two weeks. With all the wind we have had lately makes it difficult to get out in my lil boat.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Autozone said the red top Optima is fine under a load.... but he said it needed a charge.  Huh, I just charged it for a day and my charger (Battery Tender) said it was fully charged.  :icon_scratch:  I plan to get a group 29 or 31 starter once the Optima dies.  Just wish I didn't have to wait until I'm out on the lake to find out the Optima can't start my boat.  I'm guessing it'll start at the dock and then not when in the middle of the lake.  Could get backup battery just to run as electronics and graduate to be starter once Optima dies but seems excessive to have 4 batteries in the boat.  Looking at the Mercury website for my 125hp 2-stroke, it says I only need 525MCA or 450CCA.  Way lower than I expected - those Optimax's require double that:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/faqs/outboards/?category=electrical

It appears as though my trolling motor Marine Maxx 29DC can handle that if I need a jump on the lake.

yup jumper cables in a compartment come in handy, I carry a quick jump battery unit in my boat. Remember Matt on the starting battery more is better as your night lights, livewells, graph in some cases and cigarette lighter if you use a night submersible plugged into it and other items run off the starting battery I fished for stripers one night at pleasant for hours and connected to the starting battery with connectors and when we went to leave the boat engine turned over slowly but thankfully caught and started.

Billy maybe I will paint one of my batteries blue on the top will that help :laugh: ;D :bootyshake:

wadefisherman

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Getting close to 4 yrs on my blue tops, still going strong. Had to change the starter optima, only got 3 yrs out of it. Changed out with the larger class blue top, it was $208 at SAMs club. They are a little higher now but they are about 15% higher capacity than the other blue top. Eventually they will all be swapped out with the higher capacity blue top.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal