Author Topic: Batteries - Best Brands and Stores That Sell Them  (Read 15030 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Batteries - Best Brands and Stores That Sell Them
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Need to buy a couple trolling motor batteries.  I was wondering if anyone had opinion on brands and where to buy them.  I've done Wal-Mart brand before for deep cycle. Had some Deka before but not sure who sells them now.   Optima red top is what I have now and told that's pretty good - although getting it tested as I don't know how old it is.  Was thinking of just getting 2 deep cycle larger size (27 or 31) Bass Pro brand as I'm getting trolling motor there as well but realize might be overpriced there.  Suggestions?

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Batteries - Best Brands and Stores That Sell Them
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:00 PM »
First of all Matt, check your outboard motors owners manual as some motors (like my Optimax) have required minimum battery specs for your house/starting battery.  For this battery I'd suggest either a group size 29 or 31 but certainly not smaller than a group 27.  Depending on what group size is currently installed in your boat, you may or may not need to change out the battery tray(s).

As for your TM, make sure it's a marine deep cycle & designed for TM use.

Brands are like the Ford vs Chevy debate.  Go with the best battery your budget allows.  Some say the biggest bang for the buck are the Walmart EverStart Maxx group 29 size.  Interstate Batteries have been working good for me & is what came in my boat in a group size 27.  I have read that the Sears DieHard Platinum marine batteries are good but are $$.  I put an Autozone Duralast marine battery in my little tin boat & has been working good.

So my thoughts are, get the proper battery for the application in a larger group size with finding the brand that works for you.....

Oh, and whether it's Sears, Batteries Plus, Costco or your local Interstate dealer I'd buy close to the house as you'll be visiting the store again in +/- 3 years..... :greengrin:

LLL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:38 PM by cousinlll »

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I've had great luck with the WalMart Everstart Maxx line of batteries a couple have lasted 5 yrs and one lasted 7 yrs. Just make sure that they are fully charged after each trip.

I have also used the Optima Blue Tops for the trolling motor and they work well. Best bang for the buck has to be the WalMart though.

Offline timbo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I think you can go wrong with the Walmart batteries. I have a troll motor one that 5yrs old

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:56 PM »
+1000 on the Wal-Mart Batteries. 

I have had the set that I have now for 4+ years and have not had a problem.  They are cheaper than most other batteries and hold a charge well.  Never had them go dead on me at the lake no matter how much I used them.  Put them ont he charger as soon as I get home and charger them back up.  Then the night before a trip I plug them in and they are GTG.  I have my son charging them once a week for me while I am here in Afghanistan.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 08:43 AM »
also check battery's plus. I have a group 31 from them and prices are pretty good.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Yea I have to agree with the Wally World brand batteries. If you keep them maintained with water and charge them regularly, they seem to be the best bang for the buck.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Blue tops are the way to go. I run two optima blues on my boat. I also hook them parallel so I don't have to ever change batteries on water. I run a red top in my truck has well. Blues are made for a abuse you take traveling on lake. A blue top is made for starting/trolling. I have also found that the optima's are usually 5-10 lbs lighter than other batteries. I have used batteries from Walmart and nothing has lasted has long has my blues. I am still running the same blues I bought from 4 years ago with no problems.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12 PM »
My boat came with a red for the starter.  Reading online it says if you're going to let the red get drained at all then go the blue.  Red is just starting and minimal to no drain.  Blues also are advertised more for boat and rough use.  I'm going to get the red I got with the boat tested but I don't know how old it is.  Only way you know your starter battery is dead is it doesn't start while on the water.  Optimas are a lot more expensive and might be able to get two Wal-mart starters over 3-5 years vs one optima.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Unless you get a seperate battery for this, dont forget that your start/house battery will be the power source for all current & future electronics, livewell & bilge  pumps, nav lights, aerator & any other future things you plan on installing.......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal