Author Topic: Cooking Crappie  (Read 127665 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Cooking Crappie
« on: December 19, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Cooking fish is my weakness and I don't have any good recipes.  My wife doesn't eat fish so am in need of different ways of cooking/preparing fish that she might like.  One reason why I release 99% of the fish I catch - other is I just don't like to and out of practice on cleaning fish!!

So with that being said, How about some suggestions on a good batter mix recipe. Something with a bit of spice to help cover any fishy taste.  What have you guys found to be the best oil for frying?  Anybody want to share recipes?

LLL   

Piscolli

Re: Cooking Crappie
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Buy a tempura mix and use it. It's incredible with ponzu sauce (Safeway or an asian store.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:46 AM »
deep fried and blackened are my two favorites

blackened crappie is simple, light oil in a pan, I use canol oil, take the washed dried filets and sprinkle paul prudhommes (fish blackening) on them an put them in pan medium high heat till tender and blackened up then scoop and eat, can put light or heavier amounts of fish blackening, has a great spicey taste, good for diet food.

deep fried with peanut oil, you can use ground up freetos,ritz crackers, bisquick pancake mix etc.

my favorite is regular saltine crackers, use a roller to smash them down then I put some regular flour in that mix-just to bound the mix, plus pepper,garlic powder,onion powder. Take milk (you can add beer to that) your choice and a couple eggs that are whipped, take dried fillets dip them in the egg/milk take them out and roll them in the cracker mix and put in deep frier greese at about 350 degrees till golden brown-keep the heat up so that the fillets don't absorb the oil and don't over cook it does not take long, take out drain on paper towels and done. For a nice spicey taste use regular (yellow mustard) instead of milk,beer or the eggs.

Now that I am on my diet? I have gone to the blackening cooking as it is low fat etc.

You can experiment with different mixes, I know people that use white and yellow corn chips (rolled into crunchy mix) cornmeal, there are (canned cracker crumbs) and premade batter mixes for rolling the fillets in but they all taste stale to me 
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:06 AM »
My buddy a Louisiana native turned me on to Louisiana Fish Fry a few years ago used to have it sent here from there but now Fry's has it. Have not used anything else since. Very lite coating basically corn meal with cajon seasonings I use Italia extra virgin olive oil from Smart and Final 8 bucks a gallon instead of 8 bucks a qt. Light breading more crappie taste YUM Note use the blue fish fry package there is also yellow (lemon) but I am not a fan

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Great suggestions so far, Thanks!!  Keep the ideas coming...

LLL

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Cooking fish is my weakness and I don't have any good recipes.  My wife doesn't eat fish so am in need of different ways of cooking/preparing fish that she might like.  One reason why I release 99% of the fish I catch - other is I just don't like to and out of practice on cleaning fish!!

So with that being said, How about some suggestions on a good batter mix recipe. Something with a bit of spice to help cover any fishy taste.  What have you guys found to be the best oil for frying?  Anybody want to share recipes?

LLL   

Just have Marv and Mark or the Sandman Crew cook em for you.  It doesn't get any better than that!!!

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:33 PM »
i justcooked it with a super easy and tasty recipe. its called a cup a cup a stick. its acup of sour cream a cup of parmesian cheese and a stick of butter. baked in aluminum foil closed up. thisisfor 3-4 lbs fish. a northern pike recipe but tasty. the other half of tonights feast was flour withsalt and garlic powder and lemon pepper and paprika, egg wash then flour mix then fry in butter heated almost to burning point.

wadefisherman

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:35 AM »
I really like this easy and healthy recipe:

Coat your crappie fillets with dried Italian herbs. melt a little butter in a fry pan and add a little olive oil, get it hot and add some grape tomatoes. Let them cook for about a minute then add your crappie fillets. Cook for a bout 1-2 minutes depending on thickness. Flip the fillets and add some good quality Parmesan cheese to each fillet. Cover the pan until the fish is cooked through (another minute or 2). Thats it, serve with a side salad and some cooked white or brown rice and its game on!

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:30 AM »

Coat your crappie fillets with dried Italian herbs. melt a little butter in a fry pan and add a little olive oil, get it hot and add some grape tomatoes. Let them cook for about a minute then add your crappie fillets. Cook for a bout 1-2 minutes depending on thickness. Flip the fillets and add some good quality Parmesan cheese to each fillet. Cover the pan until the fish is cooked through (another minute or 2). Thats it, serve with a side salad and some cooked white or brown rice and its game on!

That sounds awesome and pretty damn quick. I'm going to have to try that recipe next week!

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:20 PM »

That does sound good. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal