Author Topic: Depth or structure  (Read 4916 times)

Offline SteveJ

Depth or structure
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I have installed the new lakemaster chip for the western states and I will be able to follow a contour line, according to the publicity.
This weeks crappie report from g&f : "Crappie anglers are using a vertical technique and fishing in 25-35 feet of water and targeting crappie suspended in brush"
What has the depth to do with crappie location?
Is the point that you need to look for brush at that depth?  In other words depth first then brush?

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Depth or structure
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Steve - Glad to see a post from you!  :greengrin:  Hope you're doing well......

Good question - the way I read that line was this person found a school of Crappie in or around brush that was in 25-35 feet of water & fished them vertically with jigs.  Think Art made a post regarding this in the clubhouse.

As for the depth Crappie are hanging out at, that's when you use your graphs to answer that question   :dontknow:  But finding brush at those depths might be a good place to start given that report.  I'll defer to all the other Crappie PhD's out there that are more in the know than I am to answer your question(s).

That Lakemaster chip is supposed to be pretty cool when "contour trolling".  Sparkchaser & I believe OneBlade has this setup so you can ask them all your questions about it.

LLL

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Thank you Larry.  Good to hear from you.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 03:55 PM »
depends on the time of year, I am surprised they are so deep right now with decent water temps and weather 23-28+ feet usually they are a little shallower schooled and chowing down for the winter months. In the winter heck they may be out in 35-40' of water in the spring not unusual to find them staged in brush 10-15' waiting to move up for love. Heck in the middle of the summer catch crappie with spoons in 50+' of water down near the bottom at pleasant down where the bigger stripers are hanging out, have caught several with the air bladder in their mouth they were so deep. I depend less on electronics especially with gizzard shad in Roosevelt and work different areas till I find active fish. Will hit 10 areas at Bartlett and only find maybe 2-3 active schools but that is fun when you find them :headbang:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:55 PM »
I agree with LLL's post in regards to the depth of water being 25-35 with brush in there somewhere. I really like the lakemaster chip, and if you have an I pilot link, then you will be able to use follow the contour feature. Just remember to adjust the offset for the contour lines with what you actually see on the graph for depth. Once you get that you can tell your TM to go either left or right on the contour line via the graph, or your remote. Set up a few way points for a trolling pattern, and you can make a nice route to stay on. Set your speed to what you want, hit cruise control, and sit back and let it all go to work for you.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Thank you sparkchaser. I do have the I Pilot and have used the trolling memory. I will be on Apache next week and will see just how 'user friendly' it really is. Great to have you here for questions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal