Author Topic: Solar Charger for Boat Batteries  (Read 5672 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Solar Charger for Boat Batteries
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on a good solar charger I can carry around on my boat charging my battery?  Any rules how I connect them up, e.g. only one per battery?  Headed out for 2 1/2 days and wonder if my batteries will last.  Will have minnow aerator running majority of time.

Offline sandman

Re: Solar Charger for Boat Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:11 AM »
Check 'em out at Camping World. Good ones are expensive though. You need a large panel to keep a 12V battery charged and you have to keep it aimed at the sun for the best efficiency. I used one on the top of the Winnebago to keep the batteries charged. Forgot it was up there one day and it blew off on the Beeline somewhere between Mesa and the 188 cutoff.

Harbor Freight has some cheapies but you get what you pay for. Some work, some don't.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:23 AM »
Haven't really researched this much but my initial thought is that you'll need a pretty big solar panel(s) to generate enough amps to charge your batteries fully.  And you'll need to have the panel connected to your batteries the entire time for it to even make a difference.  It's my opinion that solar panels work best as more of a trickle charger to maintain an already charged battery for an extended time period.  Hopefully somebody with more knowledge on this subjust than I will chime in but given your question a small generator might be a better option for charging boat batteries.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56 AM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:01 AM by sparkchaser »
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline toon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:08 PM »
my trolling motor is 12 volt, use one battery at atime, use to get one full day of trolling with one battery, with solar charger I get two days per battery,  the solar panel I use is 60 watt, it puts out 3+ amps, its 26 " by 26". I have it on a pontoon, put it in the chair next to me so that I can swivel it around to put it in direct contact with sun.  bought mine from ul-solar.com   1-888-701-0566 weighs 15 lbs. paid $60 free shipping. I like it, it works for me, use to carry three batterys  for 3-4 days of fishing, now two will due. also check on e-bay Ibought this one three years ago.

Dave   

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:30 PM »
I have used a solar panel on my boats for many years--Soar panels work GREAT if your expectations marry the intent--as was stated, solar panels are for trickle charge only--unless you want to spend several hundred dollars for a 12V 22amp panel ( I have one for my RV)--this RV panel is 4feet x 3feet and will blow out your batteries without a good regulator/monitor---for the boat, I have one panel, manufacture is Coleman---5 years old and still trickling---I go out for 10 days and seldom have to put the batteries on a charger---and I slow troll several hours--google Coleman or other solar manufacturers (Seimans)---look at the load voltage and current charge and then you can decide on dollars vs current--
good luck
call if you need more info
602-430-0166

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 07:50 AM »
Thanks guys.  Tough call.  I fished Thurs, Fri, and Sat AM and my 2 12V for the trolling motor never died and the 12V starter handled electronics and bubbler.  No way to tell if I'd really taken a dip in that starter battery.  That's the main one I was concerned about.   May do a few more trips and see if I ever get to the point of draining that starter too much.  I had considered getting a 4th battery just for electronics but seems like overkill and just more weight to lug around.

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I always--ALWAYS--carry an extra battery--I have a relatively inexpensive 12 volt Battery that has been used on more than one occasion---To me, really devastating to be on the lake and have a troll battery die or, worse, a crank battery. I highly recommend carrying a spare.( I have also "loaned" this battery to aid a jump start on many occasion--used to power my fillet knife, many times--used to bypass a switch on my RV to pull the stabilizers up ---etc etc)---Buy a 36 month "el cheapo" and it will save many heart aches and a few days on the water--

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I always--ALWAYS--carry an extra battery

+1 also!  Got in the habit when night fishing as a just incase.  With todays electronics & other electrical drain on your starting battery it's just a matter on time before you'll need the backup.  My Optimax requires a certain battery capacity to start so between that requirement & graphs is why I carry a spare battery.  The other option is to go with a good quality Group 31 battery or get the separate battery just for your electronics, like you mentioned.

While fishing our derby at Alamo last month I drained my starting battery enough that my Optimax wouldn't start.  Had my spare battery under the dash, pulled out my jumper cables & 30 seconds later Fish Hawk & I were heading to weigh in.

Offline sandman

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 11:59 AM »
One of those boost batteries with the built-in cables will work well for a 'spare' and can be carried in the truck too when you're not using the boat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal