Author Topic: "buoys, markers and what they mean?"  (Read 3471 times)

Bob M

"buoys, markers and what they mean?"
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Well what they mean to me anyway...

When I am trolling or just idling the big motor while looking around with the side image and see a marker buoy it means very little to me unless there is a boat actively fishing close to it and catching fish often.  I will then troll on by while not interfering with whatever he is doing, a good 50' away and look under his "skirt" with the SI to see whats really going on and why he's chosen to mark it for all to see.  I'll respect his marker by roughly 50' unless it just happens to be a spot I was already working and had waypointed on my GPS before he trolled in and tossed his marker on top of it.  When a guy does that I still give them the 50' grace limit unless we know each other and can fish together close while chit chatting but I will plan my course a bit different to take full advantage of my GPS mark even if it means cutting him off from time to time without getting close to him purposely.  If that fisherman doesn't consider I may have already been working that spot for hours where he just trolled through and tossed out his pretty pink buoy but by my use of superior GPS technology then I'm not too worried about my ability to outwit him.  The drift buoys can come in handy in such instances.  Normally if you see me throw out a marker buoy its marking a nasty snag and mine are color coded for that very reason. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal