Author Topic: Crappie lights re-visited  (Read 36938 times)

ACFIXR

Crappie lights re-visited
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:56 PM »

Anybody using this light?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/AlumiGlo-SuperBrite-Fish-Light/1619300.uts

Christmas and birthday coming up and I am thinking that this should be on the short list! :D

I want to use it from my pontoon. Any advise is much appreciated. Have plenty of batteries and a generator......................

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Crappie lights re-visited
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Made my own but I would give these a serious look:

http://www.greenfishlights.com  A couple 40w would be perfect for your pontoon & would light up the world.  Couple guys here have these lights

or

Nucli-eye Aurora for an LED option http://www.jumpingchollajigs.com which you can possibly get locally at Sportsman Warehouse.

ACFIXR

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for the lead to the "Green fish lights". His 4' only draws 2 amps.........................How much does your custom made one draw? Do you have any pics of it?

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Thanks for the lead to the "Green fish lights". His 4' only draws 2 amps.........................How much does your custom made one draw? Do you have any pics of it?

I'm not sure about the amp draw on my lights.  I usually use two lights w/ a dedicated battery for them & can easily run them all night in the summer.  They are very similar to theirs in both components & design.  Easy to make but the clear Schedule 40 PVC is where most of the expense is which puts it close to the price of buying one.

LLL

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29 PM »
  Easy to make but the clear Schedule 40 PVC is where most of the expense is which puts it close to the price of buying one.

LLL
[/quote]

Ea cousin where can I pick some of that clear PVC up at? I have been wanting to make my own lights using Green LEDs.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I know Grainger has them & other plumbing supply shops - I needed 2" but you might need a smaller diameter for LEDs:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EXCELON-Pipe-1AAZ8?Pid=search

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Thx cousin. I should have thought about grangier. My old shop I used to work at still lets me go up their and order stuff threw their account so I am able to save a lil cash.  Thx again!!

ACFIXR

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:15 PM »
  Easy to make but the clear Schedule 40 PVC is where most of the expense is which puts it close to the price of buying one.

LLL

Ea cousin where can I pick some of that clear PVC up at? I have been wanting to make my own lights using Green LEDs.
[/quote]

What are you going to use as far as your LED's? Seems like a 2" tube would be too large a diameter and buoyancy would be a problem. I really don't know but it would be nice to get this light thing figured out real soon. :thumbsup:

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:35 PM »
I know I looked for LEDs awhile ago but can't remember which ones I found. Right now i jut use a 6 in  fluorescent green light from optronics. They sell at Sportsmans. I bought a two foot one from their  same brand used it once and leaked water and blew bulb. I have had the 6 incher for like 3 years with no problem.

With LEDs and  buoyancy issues. I plan in using 2 in ID clear pipe with a 1 in white PVC with LEDs lights attached to it. Then slip that inside clear tube and presto. Now for weight.Ill just add some lead weights or straight lead to it to make sink.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 06:03 AM »
Now for weight.Ill just add some lead weights or straight lead to it to make sink.

For my 4' lights we melted lead wheel balance weights & poured it into a half soda can used as a mold.  Then put the weight into the bottom portion of the light to keep it vertical in the water & the top portion of the light 6" or so above the water line.  Think it weighed something like .75 lbs or maybe it was 1.75 lbs....... Can't freakin remember!

I've seen pics of people using waterproof flexable LED strips wrapped around a stick of PVC pipe.  Certainally not a LED expert but might try here for them?  http://www.superbrightleds.com/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:23 AM by cousinlll »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal