Author Topic: Lakemaster chip Western States  (Read 24839 times)

Offline SteveJ

Lakemaster chip Western States
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Could not adjust the lake level at Roosevelt.  Humminbird 998 would only allow 30 ft. plus or minus which didn't relate to current lake level.
Any ideas?

Offline ArZFisher

Re: Lakemaster chip Western States
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:38 AM »
That's stupid. How can you sell some chip that is supposed to badarse but can't adjust level. They call that a lake Master chip hahahaha. If I remember right  those chips were just released not too long ago??? If so when did they map the  lakes?  I think they forgot that in he southwest water does not last long

After this weekend of graphing so many fish at Bartlett, I personally wanted to throw  my lowrance hds over board.  We slow trolled cats bay yesterday and found many fish with only a lil blue to show for it. Sometimes I wish I had no fish finder on board so I would not get pissed when I know they are their but not bites.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:41 AM »
I adjusted mine to the 30 foot setting and just add twenty feet in my head. I love it!.......Art

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I don't have the Lakemaster chip but in reading the 998's owners manual, it looks like that's the max default water level offset setting available?  Guess they need to consider lakes in this part of the country with their dramatic water level changes……..

Looking at the 998's online owners manual pages 107-108:
Water Level Offset
(optional-purchase LakeMaster® charts only)
Settings: -30 to +30 feet, -5 to +5 fathoms, -10 to +10 meters (International Models only); Default = 0
Water Level Offset allows you to change the level of the water being read from the control head. The displayed numbers on the Contour Lines will adjust from the Water Level Offset setting, and the water level offset will be highlighted in dark brown.
For example, if the lake is down 5 feet, set the Water Level Offset setting to -5.

Again, I haven't played with their chip but thinking out loud here - if you were to set the max water level offset to -30 which should change the lake map contour lines to brown 30 ft down.  Then possibly try using the Shallow Water Highlight feature to -30 which should change the contour lines red next to the brown to make up the difference to the current water level?  In theory, using these two features you might be able to "adjust" your lake map to show a 60 ft drop in the lakes water level.  Another possibility would be to try use the Depth Highlight feature instead, which is the green shaded area in the pic below.  Just shooting from the hip here so you'll have to be the on-lake tester.   :greengrin:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:51 PM by cousinlll »

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Thanks cousinlll for the idea.  I bet if we all use our Humminbird select accounts and blast them with a complain we might be able to get an upcoming software release.  From a software point of view, it sure seems odd to put a random limit like 30ft.  Don't know limitation on software that would prevent more then that.

If you have Humminbird select, take a moment and complain at:
Priority Support # 888-227-7007

Less useful but easier than calling, just submit the form:
http://www.humminbird.com/support/Contact_Support.aspx

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:20 PM »
What software version are you running Steve?

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19 PM »
The mapping software provides contour lines with depths that you tell your trolling motor to follow.  If you felt fish were at a certain depth along a contour, you could tell the trolling motor to follow that contour assuming you have the lakemaster chips.  This all really fancy really though.  100% you can do all this without the cool electronics but pretty nice to tell motor to follow a line that you visibly see is at a certain depth.  The depth on the map will read off until you tell it the lake offset - what the real lake level is at compared to the lakemaster chip.    Without the offset working, you'd have to just subtract the extra amount in your head.   Not a big deal.

Yes you can look at shore and drive your trolling motor along your own contour and sonar just as good.

Not sure of other impacts to not being able to correctly set the offset.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:58 AM »
What software version are you running Steve?
I have no idea.
Very new, and old.
 Where do I find it?

Offline Woody64

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Hi,
I work at LakeMaster.  Humminbird has a free software update for 798, 898, 998, and 1198 models that increases the water level offset function to -200ft.  The max you can adjust for high water is +30 ft.  The Roosevelt chart is set at 2,150 ft. above sea level.  The best way to adjust is compare your sonar reading and chart reading at 2 or 3 locations and different depths.  Extrapolate from those readings how much to offset.
Good fishin'.
Woody

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Thanks Woody, I never verified this myself as I haven't been on Roosevelt for awhile.

SteveJ, if you've never updated it, you most likely have an outdated version.  Upgrades I think came out earlier in the year including one for your finder in Sept 2013.  Best way is to register your equipment on the humminbird.com website - you provider serial number and so forth.  By doing that, it'll provide you links to the various updates needed to the following:
Humminbird PC (application to convert waypoints before storing onto your finder)
Fish Finder Update
iPilot Link Controller update
iPilot Link remote update
http://www.humminbird.com/Support/product_registration/my_equipment/

Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal