Author Topic: Hook Size/Type  (Read 6943 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Hook Size/Type
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:08 PM »
I'm making some liters for bare minnow fishing vertical trolling.  Anybody have recommendations on hook size and brand?  I've heard a few recommendations like Eagle Claw 162EL but not sure about size 1, 2, 4, etc.  I never really thought about hook brand much - thought it was a scam by the manufactures to get suckers to pay more money for gamakatsu or other high end brands.  But, I figured perhaps there's something to it.  I used a liter from IAMMAC once and took some effort to get that hook out as the barb stuck pretty well in the fish.  Book hook size too I would think matters.

So.... any input?

Offline ArZFisher

Re: Hook Size/Type
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I really love the eagle claw 214 el hooks. It's a extra light wire hook that has some give if u get snagged. They are also thinner than most bait hooks. Minnows stay alive longer.  Also really love the try turn hooks or mr crappie ones. They have that bend in hook that a is like a cam and sets hook 8/10 in top of mouth.  Red hooks I have heard work well. Supposed to look like minnow bleeding.

Right now I am using plan old #2 eagle claw told arden hooks. Have worked good all fall and spring. They are just not as light weight as the 214s.  Any hooks that I but are going to usually be a #2 size. In my opinion not to big not to small.   Those  162 el don't look bad either but I think the 214 el are just a lighter wire.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:32 PM by ArZFisher »

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Matt. Don't limit your self to one hook type or color. My go to hook is BPS #4 red Aberdeen.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Any of the aberdeen hooks will work well, extra light wire is better if you can find them.  Save yourself the money of buying the Tru-Turn style hooks and bend the aberdeens yourself, it's not hard to do at all.  As for the size of the hook, all depends onthe size minnows you have.  I have use 2s and 4s most of the time. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:06 PM »
what ever size hook comes on a jig head :dance:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal