Author Topic: Hummingbird 998c hd SI/gps combo  (Read 12801 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Hummingbird 998c hd SI/gps combo
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Don't know if hummingbird is bringing anything new but if they do I'd bet it would run the same software as 1198 and 998.  That's a great price from a dealer like that.  I got mine via ebay this authorized dealer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMMINBIRD-998C-SI-COMBO-GPS-CHARTPLOTTER-FISHFINDER-W-SIDE-IMAGING-407760-1-/290883825602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba06efc2

wadefisherman

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:45 PM »
I was looking around online for reviews and saw that company as well. Is the 8" big enough?

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:25 AM »
8in the lowrance actually has more pixtels per inch than the 10 , I just sold my HDS10 and went with HDS9 Touch shorter that the 8 but wider. Lotsa new stuff coming from Lowrance and hummingbird , check out the BBC.com site re Lowrance and Hummingbird ,( they also have a for sale used units section on BBC.com guys upgrade and you can buy a slightly used or new unsed in the box at a substantial saving) those guys seem to be on top of what is new and coming down the pike. I spoke to Kirt Hedquist  ( part of Dr Sonars,Bruce Sampson. staff ) re the camera features he said both manufacturers are coming out with innovation after innovation . Sonic hub , video cameras , wireless android control, bird has a touch feature coming etc.  For new try pricing try,  XtremeNavigation.com  I bought my HDS10 and HDS 9 ( touch from them (last summer HDS9 and Lss2 transducer for less than anyone else no shipping no sales tax had it in two days). Also Try Reeds Sporting Goods , Reedssports.com they will match any price but you have to call and speak to Dru one of the owners . Brian, I am bringing the HDS9 touch with me next week you and Chris can play with it and see if it would benefit your style of fishing frankly the extra money for side scan is not for everybody. Down scan ,yes but remember you have to be moving to get a picture with down scan and side scan .Personally I have used both Bird and Lowrance ,I have  Terrovas I pilots on both boats I pilot is priceless , I link just a gimmick ( I do not want the computer telling me where to fish ). The regular sonar 2d on the lowrance is far superior to the hummingbird and for me that is the most important feature. But before you guys buy at the big box stores check out on line (BBG. Three rivers , xtremenavigation, Reedssports , Scheels lotsa choices). One thing struck me about both companies they are bringing out new tech so fast it may not have been sufficiently tested (eg the software nightmare bird has had with 360 and the point 1 heading problems with lowrance )so tried and true units may be a better functional buy rather than something brand new being field tested with your dollars that may require you updating til they get it right. Hey guys have a great holiday season , for me just 9 more days til I get out of the Minnesota Icebox and back in AZ.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 06:59 AM »
8in the lowrance actually has more pixtels per inch than the 10 , I just sold my HDS10 and went with HDS9 Touch shorter that the 8 but wider. Lotsa new stuff coming from Lowrance and hummingbird , check out the BBC.com site re Lowrance and Hummingbird ,( they also have a for sale used units section on BBC.com guys upgrade and you can buy a slightly used or new unsed in the box at a substantial saving) those guys seem to be on top of what is new and coming down the pike. I spoke to Kirt Hedquist  ( part of Dr Sonars,Bruce Sampson. staff ) re the camera features he said both manufacturers are coming out with innovation after innovation . Sonic hub , video cameras , wireless android control, bird has a touch feature coming etc.  For new try pricing try,  XtremeNavigation.com  I bought my HDS10 and HDS 9 ( touch from them (last summer HDS9 and Lss2 transducer for less than anyone else no shipping no sales tax had it in two days). Also Try Reeds Sporting Goods , Reedssports.com they will match any price but you have to call and speak to Dru one of the owners . Brian, I am bringing the HDS9 touch with me next week you and Chris can play with it and see if it would benefit your style of fishing frankly the extra money for side scan is not for everybody. Down scan ,yes but remember you have to be moving to get a picture with down scan and side scan .Personally I have used both Bird and Lowrance ,I have  Terrovas I pilots on both boats I pilot is priceless , I link just a gimmick ( I do not want the computer telling me where to fish ). The regular sonar 2d on the lowrance is far superior to the hummingbird and for me that is the most important feature. But before you guys buy at the big box stores check out on line (BBG. Three rivers , xtremenavigation, Reedssports , Scheels lotsa choices). One thing struck me about both companies they are bringing out new tech so fast it may not have been sufficiently tested (eg the software nightmare bird has had with 360 and the point 1 heading problems with lowrance )so tried and true units may be a better functional buy rather than something brand new being field tested with your dollars that may require you updating til they get it right. Hey guys have a great holiday season , for me just 9 more days til I get out of the Minnesota Icebox and back in AZ.

Has humminbird figured out their problems with their down scan units not working well with the minnkota mazimizer systems as far as all the wash out on screen when you turn the Terrova type TM on :dontknow:  I finally solved my problems by mounting the transducer on a separate shaft away from the TM. pain in the butt.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:06 AM »
I'm runnin' an 1198HD w/360 if anyone wants to see it in action. The 360 has put more fish in the boat but mostly in MN and WI chasing walleyes around rock/sand bars. It did NOT show me the tree line up stream,,, had to rely on sonar,,, but I'm still learnin'!
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I had an issue with interference too. I installed a ferrite ring (no charge from hummingbird) which did eliminate that problem. On my new rig I went with 3 batteries,, no ring. No problem with Terrova but I am still getting some interference from my Lawrence sonar even after moving transducer to left side of transom,, reinstalled ferrite ring,, testing it Friday.
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 09:48 AM »
I have 2 1198s on my rig, and have had no issues with interference. With both units on in sonar mode I still get a clear pic. Only issues I have had is when I get close to another boat, and pick up their sonar from the front. Still not totally pleased with the side and down image output on my units. I think it is a software issue, as I am running 6.740, due to configuration with the Ilink. I rode with LLL a couple of weeks ago, and he has a much earlier version maybe even original. He gets a lot more detail than I do. I want to try and run that version on one of my units to compare. I'm still in learning mode as well, trying to fine tune the settings to get the best output. On my console unit I have a skimmer transducer mounted on one side of the motor dedicated to 2D, while my side image is mounted on the other side. I like the 2D output more from the skimmer transducer, than from the transducer up front. Good thing is everything is networked, so I have plenty of options. Have to agree with shopping around before you buy. There are so many places online to buy these products. Personally, I would never buy at a retail store, just to save the tax. Most places include shipping, and someone is always trying to move them. Pretty sure the 2014 bird models are going to have internal gps, plus some other new features. Probably why you are seeing price reductions for the older models on the shelf.
Edit..... the new models are available now

http://store.humminbird.com/products/764459/999ci_HD_SI_Combo
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:00 AM by sparkchaser »
SEA.....HAWKS....

wadefisherman

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Good feedback, no closer to making a descision on brand versus model. Will the better electronics = more fish in the boat. Should I just keep what I have and buy lobster for the next 10 years instead? Will probably be cheaper.  :lol_hitting:

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Good feedback, no closer to making a descision on brand versus model. Will the better electronics = more fish in the boat. Should I just keep what I have and buy lobster for the next 10 years instead? Will probably be cheaper.  :lol_hitting:
I don't think you need the electronics.  Plenty of fishermen slay them without the electronics.  Will it bring more fish in your boat?  I'm not sold on that it will.  This coming from someone who just upgraded his electronics to the 998c.  My reasoning was this is a long term boat for me and it didn't even have a front finder so I figured if I get one I might as well get good.  I'm happy with the 998c - sure the larger screen would be nicer but I put the speed it scrolls to slow and with the many views I don't think I'm missing much with the smaller screen. The 998 was somewhere like $800 or so cheaper than the 1198.  I also went Humminbird because it's integrated with the Terrova and that's pretty sweet I must say.  I told it to head to my waypoint and then went and chatted with my mom in the back of the boat.  She asked where we are going and I said "it's" taking us to our next tree.  Very nice, very nice indeed.  On screen view of my boat headed to a point where where we are visually is pretty good too - a major step up from the basic iPilot I had previously.  Following a track is pretty nice too. Toughest point so far is learning all of the features and I have a lot to learn.  I like the lobster idea - a lot of lobster could be bought on the price of a 998c.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal