Author Topic: Crappie fishing in the winter  (Read 5332 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Crappie fishing in the winter
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:35 AM »
I've been actively target fishing crappie for about 3-4 years now. I've watched videos and read some magazines and small print literature on how to fish for crappie, but most of my knowledge comes from following trends through reports many of you post...

That said, the trend I've seen is that crappie fishing in the winter wasn't that great however I've seeing lots of post of many of you catching decent numbers of crappie and from the pictures they're all of very nice size. For you "old guys",  :angel: would you say that this year is better, worse or typical for crappie fishing in the winter? (Any by winter, I mean an Arizona winter... not that cold crap  :icon_jokercolor: )

Piscolli

Re: Crappie fishing in the winter
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06 AM »
This year is worse, it just that its been so long since we've seen any Crappie caught, any news is great news.

WInter is my favorite time to fish, next to early spring that is. From Oct to Feb is when I have had a lot of my best days.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31 AM »
So this year has been worse in general (compared to the last 15-20 years) or worse than the last few years? I thought things have kind of been shut down in the winter the last few years.

I really should try this winter fishing. I don't believe I've ever been out to the lake in the winter for fishing. Always seemed like a lost cause for me.

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:40 AM »
I've been focused on fishing for Crappie in AZ since 2003 and even though the last 2 spring/ summer bites have been tough, the winter was still good. SO I guess I'm sayin the year in general not just the winter.

Last year I was on a killer bite at Bartlett from mid Oct all the way to Christmas day. And then though its starting slow this year, there are signs that Alamo, Bartlett and Rosey are all ready to pop.

And this is the first time I can remember (in AZ) that multiple anglers using common tatics are catching decent numbers during and after a front. I have a real good feel for the month to come.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32 PM »
By this do you mean that usually in order to bring in good numbers one has to switch up methods often or do you mean fish in ways that are less seen around here? Could you explain this a bit further? I read about how folks do it in other states but the types of water and the temperatures make me think that things are just not the same here.

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:22 PM »
I just mean that to catch 20 trolling BBC and JD grubs right after a storm is something I haven't seen before. Usually after a front nothing works for more than 1 or 2 fish.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:43 PM »
From what I've gathered through the last 3 years is that any time a front moves it the fishing/catching just doesn't exist no mater how good it was the week before. I'm curious to see how it is after this front considering the unusual patterns as of recent.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 04:48 PM »
im thinkin about goin to rosey tommorow but hte weather has me spooked. still ill be checkin for rain all night. sunday for sure, whosein?

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:54 AM »
i knew this chit would blow through in no time today looks good. me n rats will be on the water by1pm. got some stuff to clean up at the office. maybe camp then hit it early tom. get back at 2 clean fish and cook prime for 10 b y6. thatll werk, except no present for brenda yet. well she said were not gettin each other notta. then again i got myself a bunch of stuff, cabellas and bps orders expected today. think a cooler af slabs would be a good gift. under the tree with bow, the blue cooler of slabs with two bows one green one red, perfect.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Lord willing, I'll be out tomorrow (Friday morning) with Kasey and my oldest son, Rick, home for Christmas from Pennsylvania. We're ready to go to war with the post-front blues. If your out on the Salt end be sure to give us a yell! .......Art

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal