Author Topic: High hopes for this spring  (Read 1383 times)

Piscolli

High hopes for this spring
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I think we are headed toward a great spring Crappie bite. After months of grinding all day for a fish or 2, many anglers using common tatics are now catching decent numbers, even during and after a front. It seems that the "new lake effect" we went through this year (like in 2005) is over.

"New lake effect" is when a lake level is low and it gets a ton of water in a short time raising the water level rapidly. The game fish and bait fish get spread out and like a brand new lake, it takes time to populate/ re-populate and for the fish to settle into normal patterns.

Last winter's heavy rains (although not as intence) were much like 2005. Water levels shot up in very short period of time, the fish were spread out into new areas and there was debris everywhere. Now it appears the effect of those rains is gone and winter patterns are starting to form.

With normal weather between now and spring, this should be a year to remember!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:24 AM by Piscolli »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
Re: High hopes for this spring
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:47 AM »
I agree Buttttttttt, if la nino becomes real wet and cold and there is a bunch of runoff like last year that could mess up things like last year, hoping for some controlled moisture but warming temps going into February then it should be real fun all over.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books