Author Topic: Crappie Spawn/warm weather?  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
Crappie Spawn/warm weather?
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I just looked at the forcast, mid 80's for at least the next 7 days!  Could this warm weather make crappie spawn earlier than normal? If so what happens if they spawn and then the weather turns cold again? All I know is that a week of 80+ degree weather is really good for fishing.  I don't think I have ever seen it this warm for this long, this early in the year.  Usually you have to wait untill April for this kind of weather.  What do ya'll think? 

Anyone know?
Rocky

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Crappie Spawn/warm weather?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:12 PM »
heck they are talking almost 90 next week don't think I have ever prepped my evap cooler the second week of Febuary:o it is a little unusual but actually the 10 day forecast shows things cooling back down by next weekend. I have seen the spawn start real early like in Febuary but that was when lakes were exceptionally low so the water warmed up quick. We are still having cool nights so surface temps and water deep enough to spawn are still aways off, pleasant had 58 degree at the end of the day in stained water but 55 in the clearer parts. Stained water warms quicker (like a solar collector) than clear water, right now other than when they dump horseshoe into Bartlett there is no runoff to speak of anywhere :(.  If the weather stays warm with san carlos dead, alamo will probably go off first for spawn. If the crappie have committed to the spawn and we get a real bad cold spell that first group up may loose the eggs to cold temps but crappie don't all spawn at the same time so there will be waves of them moving up during the spring, things that really hurt the spawn is continuous water level changes like what happened last year at Bartlett >:(. Have had some fabulous days the first week of March with warm temps.  :dance:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:16 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline 2nafish

• Rather be fishing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I agree with Fishless...  Crappie spawns are often triggered by warm weather.  Some of the best crappie spawns have occurred after a couple weeks of 80 degree temps.  Stained water helps to warm up the lake water.  The timing is early this season, but a week or two of this well warm up the lakes and cause the crappie to move up onto pre spawn patterns.  Because not all crappie (or bass) spawn during the same moon phase, it breaks up the spawn over a few months.  We will see what the next few weeks hold as far as weather goes.  I would guess some of the slow areas on the lakes will pick up this coming week.  Expect better creel numbers is my prediction in a week.  I'm heading to Roosevelt Feb 25, I hope the weather holds up.  Patterns are going to change very soon....  That's my unfounded, non-documented, unprofessional opinion.  Tight lines....

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Thank you guys for the info.  I guess crappie spawning at different times must be natures way of protecting itself from itself.  Well, there is sure nothin wrong with an early fishing season.  I'm out of here this weekend to fish Bartlett Sun-Mon, will report.
Rocky

Offline 2nafish

• Rather be fishing
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Just for added clarification. 
We already know this is a warmer then normal winter for us and if conditions continue, it will cause water temperatures to slowly rise in our local lakes.  Because of this early lake warming, it will begin to stimulate Arizona's crappie natural spawning instincts.  In this upcoming spawning season, I expect MOST crappie will undergo increasing levels of activity (like every year).  When someone mentions increased fish activity,  we anglers are never very far behind.  Those fishermen who pay attention to spawning requirements of crappie can better their springtime fishing success.

There are several crappie reproduction characteristics to note. Crappies start spawning when water temperatures reach about 56 degrees, with activities usually peak around 62oF (March-April in Arizona). The depth of nests depends on water clarity; in stained water they will be relatively shallow.  Females contain 10,000 to 160,000 eggs and spawn repeatedly in the nests of several males, which defend the nest until the fry disperse. 

Yes, every year the spawn will occur about the same time.  But will be spread out from year to year dependent on the different weather conditions from year to year.   Eggs will always mature at different stages at different latitudes. 

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Crappie (and all fish) will spawn when temps and other conditions are right for them.  Sure the warmer temps could speed things up but the limiting factor will still be if the eggs have reached maturity.  That cannot just suddenly happen, it takes time.  My guess is this years spawn will be about the same date as previous years.

I couldn't agree more. Another thing I don't buy into is water temps for prime spawning is 62. Maybe elsewhere but not in AZ. Through the years I've seen more bedding Crappie in 68 degrees + than any other time.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Crappie (and all fish) will spawn when temps and other conditions are right for them.  Sure the warmer temps could speed things up but the limiting factor will still be if the eggs have reached maturity.  That cannot just suddenly happen, it takes time.  My guess is this years spawn will be about the same date as previous years.

I couldn't agree more. Another thing I don't buy into is water temps for prime spawning is 62. Maybe elsewhere but not in AZ. Through the years I've seen more bedding Crappie in 68 degrees + than any other time.

Billy, wait till the water is 68 and then go, I will let you know when I see that (after a couple weeks+ of great fishing) :headbang: :angel:

never seen crappie in lower elevations move up to spawn in 56 degree water and actually if you find 58 degree water they are up on dry dirt, not even white crappie that spawn sooner than black crappie in theroy. Have seen the first group of spawners up so shallow as that is where the 62+ degree water is that you have to cast to them as the boat won't go. Crappie need some sun light to have the eggs mature, I find the early spawners that (want to get err done) will be sometimes really shallow and as the water warms up the next group will spawn out deeper (better survival in case of fluctuationg lakes) in clear water I have seen crappie spawning in 7-10' of water when the temp actually gets to warm up shallow. Full moon is a good indicator but the first groups that are ready don't look or follow the moon charts they go for it. Warm nights help almost more than warm days for water temp rise. Also your water temp on the graph puck is only a foot or so down so 62 degree surface may only be 58-59 degrees down slightly deeper. I use a portable thermometer with extension on probe to check temps deeper (in the spawning zone)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:38 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Your right Bruce, I should stick to trolling  :banghead:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal