Author Topic: A word of caution!  (Read 1498 times)

Piscolli

A word of caution!
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Yes, these are exciting times! Guys are catching big slabs at Rosey, Alamo and Bartlett. Even with storm systems coming through, the Crappie are biting and it keeps getting better and better.

Just please remember that it can be very dangerous out there. High winds and heavy rain can get these lakes rocking real quick! Especially Rosey! I have seen her go from light winds and fairly calm to a nightmare in less than an hour. "Just a few more minutes" can get you in real trouble.

We all want to feel that tug on our line, weight that 2+ slab and fill the freezer. But the last thing we want is to hear of an accident that could have be avoided by using a little common sence.

If the weather gets real nasty, don't go out. And if your out already, get in quickly. The Crappie will be there another day to catch.

Have fun and be safe!

Offline AZfisherdude

• View Profile
Re: A word of caution!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Good advice Bill  :thumbsup:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
Re: A word of caution!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:31 AM »
Good warning Billy,

Since the fishing is good on the salt end at rosy, one of the places to use caution is school house launch if you get a heavy wind from the west the launch area can be a mess with winds blasting the launch ramp sideways and can be real dangerous. Indian point with no dock is dangerous if wind whips from the east.

Never seen bartlett lake so bad you couldn't manage the waves (now the lightning is another story!!)

Alamo lake can surprise you for being a small lake it can get to rolling if the wind is from the west especially and with no docks at the ramps, cholla ramp can become dangerous, if wind is forecast I will launch at main ramp as it is protected somewhat from the wind. Have seen numerous boats swamped at alamo as people think being a small lake it can not get bad for wind/waves.--g and f is supposed to have docks installed at alamo this late spring (course they have said that for two years now) so don't hold your breath.

after following Bill in from the east end of san carlos lake last year it can be a son of a gun with a east or west wind of any volume (and nothing is marked buoy wise at carlos so have a topo map of the lake.)

Lake powell is like navigating the ocean can be flat as glass or look like the "perfect storm" two hours later.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books